Flywheel for a .12

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielG

What flywheel are you guys using on the .12 riggers. I have 3 different motors all need a flywheel and all have 5 mm crankshafts. I found one by OS but it is chrome over brass and a bit heavy. I was hoping to find one made of aluminum to keep rotating mass at a minimum.

Thanks,

Daniel Godwin

hi Daniel... well if that is the OS .12 size flywheel... it does not have a taper and cone lock... then that's the one I would use. It is the one Gary Preusse uses to set his world records. If you really want a lighter one octura makes a .15 flywheel that works.

Can you possibly do me a favor? do you have the part number for the OS flywheel?

thanks

tom

tom,

the part number for OS flywheel is #1D according to Tower Hobbies, the tower number is LXCB06. Tower doesnt have a pic so I am not sure if it is the one you are talking about but it is the only one I found that fits the 5mm crankshaft. I just called Octura and theirs is aluminum. Wouldnt you think that would be better than chrome plated brass?

do i think the brass is better???? hummm.... well I dont claim to know...

it is likely a personal preference thing...

for me personally... i have more problems with reliability than with speed... i think the heavier one might be more relieble... and if gary can get his up to 62mph i dont think that it will be slowing me down either.

thanks for the part info... I have to buy me another!

tom,

the part number for OS flywheel is #1D according to Tower Hobbies, the tower number is LXCB06. Tower doesnt have a pic so I am not sure if it is the one you are talking about but it is the only one I found that fits the 5mm crankshaft. I just called Octura and theirs is aluminum. Wouldnt you think that would be better than chrome plated brass?
:p Small .12 size engines have so little rotating mass that with out a brass flywheel you will not be able to get a good launch off beach. Scott

I agree with Scott, with these small engines have very little in the way of torque and the heavier flywheel will give you better launchability. Rotating mass will be less impotant than inertia. I'd even go so far as saying you wouldn't notice a difference in top RPM but you would be able to swing a slightly larger prop with the heavier flywheel.

Tim.

I used the OS flywheel on my Trinity/Picco/Nova Rossi motor and had to do a little "machining" to get it to fit. I mounted the crank spacer on a drill using a nut and bolt then held it to a mill file to grind it down. One more little thing,do not use a small .098" flex cable, it's too small, I found out the hard way.

I Have the Trinity Picco as well, I got a large Aluminum flywheel from octura and turned it down to fit. I found a large steel flex cable adaptor to add more weight seems to work well.

-Mike

I finished one of my riggers. I wanted you guys to take a look and tell me what you think. I know its not to hammerheads standards but I feel pretty good about it for my first boat. what do you think?

15rigger.JPG

i agree... great first scratch boat... much better than mine was.... like we discussed... bigger rear sponsons might help as well as a shorter rudder.

i've always said designing your own is the best way to learn

Daniel,

Nice looking boat, was wondering how she runs. Is that the water return line near the turn fin? Pretty cool idea. Have you weighed it yet? Be sure to post what your setup is it's nice to know what works and what doesn't.

-Mike

mikep,

I have had the boat out twice now. Extremly pleased with how the boat handles. I ran it yesterday in some chop and it did real well. Yes that is the water pickup by the turn fin. I did that so I wouldnt have to run any plumbing thru the radio box. I think I will go ahead and run a line thru the box cause the rudder has a h2o pkup. The length is 25 in and 11.5 wide at front sponson. I used speedmaster rudder and strut. I have the strut set O degree angle with centerline even with rear sponson. Engine is a .15 HPI non pull start with an OS Flywheel, OS header and Mac pipe. Flex cable is .130 with the 3/16 propshaft from octura turning a v937 prop. I used all JR equipment with a mini servo for throttle and standard servo for rudder. I havent had a chance to time it yet but the speed really suprised me. I am running 30% nitro and I am a little worried about the RPMs. That HPI is really rapping out.

for the radio box/water line thing... use a single piece of either aluminum or brass tube all the way through... dont have fuel tube inside the box as it might come off... make sense?

Back