The open internet is now gone in the USA!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TomMoorehouse

While not boating related I see the major media is missing a huge story. Today we lost the internet as we know it. Due to this court case your isp can now decide what websites you can go to. They can charge more for increased speeds on some websites and slow down every other website. Some day intlwaters.com may have to pay isp's money so we don't get slowed down when you visit intlwaters.com. Your isp is now free to setup a cable tv type system where you pick what websites you visit and pay more for more websites.

This is a game changer! The internet may never be the same again. Net neutrality as it was known is gone.

For more information go to:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/14/fcc-open-internet-order-struck-down/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-14/verizon-wins-net-neutrality-court-ruling-against-fcc.html

net-neutrality-tombstone-620x372.jpg

It a whole lot more than just that. They can

charge users by website

Charge websites to allow you access or more speed

Block websites completely

Say your isp is related to nbc. They could block cbs abc and cnn.

Say you want to use you xbox over the internet. They can charge you extra for that and charge Microsoft as well

Say you want to use p2p... they can just completely block it.

Email.... extra. It's really bad.

think about this. I have comcast for my internet. they provide on demand movies. I also have netflix. they dont want you to use netflix because they want your money. So they can slow down your access to netflix making it nearly useless. then they can charge either you or netflix to allow the faster speeds again. Or of course comcast on demand will always be fast.

Im still on dialup (rural), Any slower and its a coin toss if its worth it.

My plan B isp is free WiFi like Mickey D's or Subway,

Wonder how this will affect them ?

Gene

No it's just big business doing what big business does. Screw the people and make money for the top shareholders at the expense of our country. Example would be look at the oil companies. There is way more as Tom mentioned. This is all about politicians and there people they owe. The folks need to read the statements that were made from two Reps. when they said that government is now keeping there hands off this. It is disgusting to think our country is now more then ever driven by corperate greed, nut it is true and this has gone on since the beginning but just not in as large of scale and also without the media people were blind to it. Not to mention our country has no morals anymore. There god is the Oh Mighty Dollar!!!!

I can see the ads now:

Act now and get 30 megs of Bing

And 20 megs of Google

All for only $19.95

Call today and we will double your offer

Some state and local fees may apply

State user fee $1.95

End user fee $.99

Gene
default_blink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing that has nothing to do with the govt but they have decided it is theirs to ruin. Have to start looking for offshore providers

Govt did not ruin it. Corporate greed beat the government. Verizon, comcast, at&t, and time warner control 90% of usa internet access. They wanted to make more money and they will succeed unless we complain loud enough. Deregulation won the battle and the consumer looses again.

A short note published in the Az Republic today said that the reason stated by the judge for gutting the FCC rules was that they did not go far enough to adequately regulate the industry..... told the FCC that they needed to rewrite the regulations with some enforceable power behind them. But then the AzRep is a Gannette owned rag and the story could be just more BS........

Just saw a blurb on C-SPAN titled "Changing Communications Law"

This is more far reaching than just broadband,

They are talking bout rewriting the laws of telecommunication as a whole.

To better the experience for consumers and open business venture.

Whew! Here we go.......

Gene

Just saw a blurb on C-SPAN titled "Changing Communications Law"

This is more far reaching than just broadband,

They are talking bout rewriting the laws of telecommunication as a whole.

To better the experience for consumers and open business venture.

Whew! Here we go.......

Gene
Which in simple layman's terms means open your wallet. It has, is and always will be about the money.
default_dry.png

Not just the USA I'm afraid. It's happening here too... A few Billionaires have a government play thing who'll do whatever they want. Emissions trading scheme, gone. A tax on "Super profits from mining" gone. Yet we get told times are tough and we'll all have to tighten our belts and prepare for budget cuts and increasing unemployment.........

An already underway FTTP national network - hobbled to repay TV / Media tycoon with 70% of the media here who got them elected by a relentless negative media campaign. Same media tycoon who was embroiled in a massive scandal in the UK.

Back