best fuel option for my gas boat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rpedro

So I am leaning toward Coleman's, but need to know where to grab it and what the best ratio to run my Bonzi BZx4.... Or I was also told 89 at the pump will work, but here in Texas the ethanol up to 10% has me worried... Thoughts??? Advice? As for oil I am looking at the the Honda hp2 or amsoil
BZ8A10
BZ8011
BZ8012
Any other things I need to know??? After run oil, etc???

Also see the premixed 40:1 and 50:1 VP Racing fuels for sale... Does anyone run it at all??? At $5-7 a quart not sure if that is decent...

I run 100 LL avation gas wont go bad. I use 10 oz per gallon. HP2 is ok ,

Ron
I don't have access to that fuel... not the easiest thing to find...
default_smile.png

As far as power goes in a Zenoah or similar non head button engine, it doesn't matter. Their low compression means octane isn't important. Coleman fuel has around a 50 octane rating and runs fine. The main issue is ethanol in the fuel. The older carbs with black diaphragms have limited diaphragm life. There are ethanol resistant pump diaphragms available, but the pressure regulator diaphragm will still suffer. That's the main reason to run Coleman fuel.

See the article Gasoline in the NAMBA October 2009 Propwash.

Lohring Miller

As far as power goes in a Zenoah or similar non head button engine, it doesn't matter. Their low compression means octane isn't important. Coleman fuel has around a 50 octane rating and runs fine. The main issue is ethanol in the fuel. The older carbs with black diaphragms have limited diaphragm life. There are ethanol resistant pump diaphragms available, but the pressure regulator diaphragm will still suffer. That's the main reason to run Coleman fuel.

See the article Gasoline in the NAMBA October 2009 Propwash.

Lohring Miller
thanks for the info! best place to buy colemans these days??? is it the red stuff that comes in the 32 oz bottles???

thanks!!!

Yes, Wal-mart does have it in a red plastic bottle but buy the gallon can if possible.

There aren't too many places that don't have a Wal-mart close by anymore but maybe a Gander Mountain, Dick's Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shops or some other sporting goods stores that sells things for camping also would.

It's the only thing I use anymore. No gas smell, no additives that you don't need, no changes to the needle settings and a very long shelf life.

I'm still using Honda HP-2 but I heard that they're going to quit selling it. Maybe because motorcycles are all going 4-stroke? Lucas makes some good oil also. O'Reilly Auto Parts has it.

I know this is a dumb question for some, but if you see the red fuel filler cap on my boat in the pics, I was wondering what I should use as a gas bottle that will fit properly in order to fill my boat up...
default_smile.png
thanks!!!

I saw pix of your boat last night on Facebook but can't remember all of the details and I haven't been on there yet today so I'm guessing that you have a hard plastic tank.

I use IV bag and use a crank fuel pump which will also work for that. You need to use one that is compatible with gas though as all don't. I think that mine is a Hangar 9.

If you use a fuel can there are some that won't dispense until the filler tube is pressed to the opening. That type would give you less of a shot of spilling fuel.

I saw pix of your boat last night on Facebook but can't remember all of the details and I haven't been on there yet today so I'm guessing that you have a hard plastic tank.

I use IV bag and use a crank fuel pump which will also work for that. You need to use one that is compatible with gas though as all don't. I think that mine is a Hangar 9.

If you use a fuel can there are some that won't dispense until the filler tube is pressed to the opening. That type would give you less of a shot of spilling fuel.
I have a gas container with the little pump ball that stops spillage, but on this paint job I am thinking of grabbing a pump just to be safe... thanks for the info!!!

Back