Gas Cracker Box

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Hagan JR

I won a Gas Cracker over the weekend from Zipp Kits. Already built and a nice job.

So what motors are you guys using with what props. Also what size hardware are you using. Same size as Thunderboat hardware.

Most of us locally are running stock 26's. Any make. Get some pictures of other cboxes and you'll see what you need for hardware. Internally their the same but outside they're different. More like mono's on the transom. You can get the hardware from Joe.

Are you bringing yours to the Huber Race. I'll take a look at it if you do. You gave me a name of a company that makes hardware and I can't remember the name.

Joe sells all of the hardware needed for the kits so it's almost one-stop shopping. They require Zenoah 260 PUM's only so his engine doesn't qualify for racing. His X-470 prop would be a good one to use. 2" offset header and one of his Super-Quiet pipes. 1/4" drive, strut, trim tabs and turn fin. Dual pick-up rudder. Just call and ask, he'll set you up right.

Here are the engine rules for Crackerbox.

3. Engine Specifications
a. Any stock or modified commercially available piston ported fuel induction 2-cycle gasoline engine not to exceed 1.83cid / 30.000cc.
b. Any stock or modified commercially available cam operated valve induction 4-cycle gasoline engine not to exceed 2.196 cid / 36.000cc.
c. The carburetor must be commercially available.
d. All engines must have a canister muffler, custom muffled exhaust system or tuned pipe.
i. With the exception of the canister muffler the muffled exhaust system or tuned pipe must be enclosed by the hull.
ii. No part of the exhaust system or tuned pipe, including a muffler, shall extend more than 4 inches behind the transom.

We like to use the 670 prop, 3 inch header and skeg strut on ours.
I think that the "any stock engine" is a D14 thing, and a darn good idea.

Here is my take:

If you want to be the guy that goes out to lap the field and pound your chest, go for it. We welcome all.

If you want to have a good time and race, try to keep them as even as possible and concentrate on racing, not how much money you can throw at them.

If you think about the most fun, or the best times you had while racing, I would bet that it was a close race, not a "lap the field" race.

Good for the spectators too...

Just my opinion...

Joe

Here is my take:

If you want to be the guy that goes out to lap the field and pound your chest, go for it. We welcome all.

If you want to have a good time and race, try to keep them as even as possible and concentrate on racing, not how much money you can throw at them.

If you think about the most fun, or the best times you had while racing, I would bet that it was a close race, not a "lap the field" race.

Just my opinion...

Joe
Yep....What Joe said! Keep costs down and have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see the Thunderboat engine rule for this class. The current engine rule is very old.

Here is my take:

Just my opinion...

Joe
Yep....What Joe said! Keep costs down and have fun!
Yep what they said. Had no idea how much fun it would be

You can copy the engine rule for Thunderboat and apply it to the Crackerbox engine rule. You will have to say that this will replace that and say where it goes in the rule book. This is an easy one as the engine rule is already written. Then send it to your district Director or you can send it to me. I will help you to make any changes that might be needed.

I have been trying to figure out a way to make the Zenoah, Rev, CY, Sikk, Race Pro type engines legal.

You could specify a $200 or so limit on engine price, and 26cc limit with no mods allowed.

I am all for strict regulations on this sort of thing. Makes it much easier to get what you need.

The goal will always be to even the playing field, even though the Crackerboxes are sort of self limiting as far as power goes. High speed barrel rolls anyone?

Wouldn't make it limited to one manufacture just any stock 26cc would be easier. You guys been in it longer then I have. I just got mine Saturday

Mike, I've never been in favor of that. This goes way back to when Homelite's ruled. They must have had kittens when the Zenoah 230 first came out! They complained when the CY/Sikk's first came out, more HP and RPM than a stock Zen out of the box. RCMK's upped the ante. I don't care if it's a $99.00 Zen clone as long as it's stock.

Yeah, I'll hear about it and have before but it leaves the door open to Zenoah and nobody else otherwise I'd be running in those classes. I've heard that they don't want to tech every brand of engine. When was the last time that you're heard of an engine protest? Me, never. It's not rocket science to see if an engine has been reworked.

The C-Box class was supposed to be an inexpensive way to race, a boat that you actually had to drive instead of point & shoot. I've seen many that can keep up with many modded mono's.

Ron oh yes it is if you look at th espec's required to go through for an inspection for records on any of the thunderboat style engines it requires splitting the cases. No one ever want to protest engines because then it becomes a protest war I have seen that happen down in Slidel, LA ,. To run stock CD's have to be able to determine what is stock for each brand of engines that means measurments plus or minus specs it's a PITA! I hav egone thruogh 4 tech inspections at records trials for Sport mono and thunderboat classic. Best is to just have an automatic tech inspection of the winner and next 2 finishers at a race. Cheaters are very creative on how to cheat really unbelievable.

Back