Coleman Fuel Question?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they just changed the color of the can. They sell plastic quart bottles now that are red.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike is probably right as I couldn't find anything about different colors or blends. I did find this, if it helps:

Coleman Fuel (naphtha or “white gas” as it’s also called), was developed in the early 1950’s as small motor fuel for lawnmowers, outboard motors as well as an industrial cleaning agent.

So what is Coleman Fuel made of? In its simplest form it's a petroleum product either derived from natural gas or distilled from oil, coal tar or peat (partially decayed vegetation matter) due to its high carbon content. It also has a several other chemicals mixed in which include cyclohexane, nonane, octane, heptane, and pentane.

Coleman Fuel is ideal for small stoves and lanterns due to its refined purity and high heat output. It also doesn’t give off the black smoke and toxic fumes that regular gasoline or kerosene does.

Though it’s almost as flammable as gasoline, don’t put it in your car’s tank as the lack of some additives will cause engine knocking and eventually destroy your engine valves. An un-opened container of Coleman Fuel stored in a dry area with no rapid extreme changes in temperature will remain viable for five to seven years. An opened container stored in the same area will remain viable for up to two years though will be at its best if used within a year.

I have a 5HP Elgin outboard that my Dad had from the late 40's and it never ran on anything but white gas. Our camping stove was a 3 burner Coleman that used white gas as well and in those days Coleman didn't sell their own fuel - you went to the gas station and bought white gas. It was readily available most everywhere. I don't remember what other uses there was for it at the time. Maybe plumbers for their blow torches and lead pot heaters? I tried it in one of my stock outboard racing engines in the 60's - of course I tried everything up to 140 octane aviation gas also.

Thanks, John

when i was a kid my dad had a 20 gallon barrel of naptha in the shed at the cottage , we would fill it at the gas station in town...

I use it now in my real weedwhacker and blower too

Where do you even get Coleman fuel any more? I use it for washing parts that I make on the CNC milling machine I have in my garage,

Most sporting goods and camping supply stores carry it in both the gallon can and 16 ounce disposable bottles. You can also get Naptha from many auto supply and paint stores, does the same thing as Coleman fuel though I don't know how the price compares between the two

Walmart sells it also. It appears to be a little cheaper in the winter. I only buy a gallon at a time but I hear they will limit what they sell in fear customers are going to use it to produce Meth.
default_huh.png

I don't want to open a "can" of worms, pardon the pun, but did the rules ever get changed to allow Coleman fuel to be used at IMPBA races and events? I am new to the gas arena with my gas tunnel, but my understanding was pump gas only!!! Thats why I go to the airport to make sure it comes out of a pump!!!

Yes it is allowed since it is white gas.

C. Fuel

Gasoline and oil mix of your choice shall be used. No nitro and/or other power boosting additives
are allowed in the LSG engine classes.

I don't want to open a "can" of worms, pardon the pun, but did the rules ever get changed to allow Coleman fuel to be used at IMPBA races and events? I am new to the gas arena with my gas tunnel, but my understanding was pump gas only!!! Thats why I go to the airport to make sure it comes out of a pump!!!
Now,,,, Do you actually think I would do something "outside" of the rules as printed in the rule book???

OOOP'S Here we go again

Yes it is allowed since it is white gas.

C. Fuel

Gasoline and oil mix of your choice shall be used. No nitro and/or other power boosting additives

are allowed in the LSG engine classes.
Now,,,, Do you actually think I would do something "outside" of the rules as printed in the rule book???

OOOP'S Here we go again
Really? Any gasoline in a can with any oil is allowed and doesn't have to be pump gas????? I'm really confused now. I think I will stick to John Finch's advice about fuel/lubricant if I ever switch from airplane gas.

Where did you read in the rule book about "pump gas" Ron? No need for confusion. It's right on Page I-2.

I think most of us who burn Coleman and avgas, use it for the longer shelf life and reduced smell. As long as performance isn't noticeably affected, I'll stick with it.

It reads "pump gas" Chilli. Maybe this rule only applies for Record Trials??? Not trying to confuse things, its right there. Look at the checklist for LSG Records.

It reads "pump gas" Chilli. Maybe this rule only applies for Record Trials??? Not trying to confuse things, its right there. Look at the checklist for LSG Records.
Don't know where your reading "pump gas" This is straight from the current rules as listed on the IMPBA website

II - GENERAL

A.

Safety Precautions

1. Sand containers must be present and used as a depository of racers’ contaminated fuel. This shall be the responsibility of the host club who will also provide disposal of such fuel.

2. An area must be roped off from spectators and other racers to use as an engine test area.

3. Fire extinguishers must be located in the pit area and engine test areas as well.

B.

Noise Level Specification

Maximum dB noise levels of all engines must be equal to or less than the maximum IMPBA National noise level specification. District and/or local club noise requirements that are a lower dB than the IMPBA National specification must be posted on the host club race flyer.

C.

Fuel

Gasoline and oil mix of your choice shall be used. No nitro and/or other power boosting additives are allowed in the LSG engine classes.

D.

Records

Records will be established for all LSG racing classes except the Open LSG Offshore and Super Sport.

E.

Protests

All hull and/or engine protests during a sanctioned contest and/or record trial must be conducted as outlined under Protests in IMPBA rulebook section "Technical Standards".

Latest posts

Back