Help ID Sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon White

Supporting Member
I bought this Sport 40 on Ebay and was described as a Dave frank 40. It is 35 1/2 in long and 18 1/4 wide. I've done some searching and Dave made his boat from wood. Everything looks to be a Dave hull but this is a fiberglass boat. It's a cool boat either way.

20171001_111852_Burst01.jpg

20171001_111945.jpg

20171001_111914.jpg

20171001_112036.jpg

Looks like a splash of an AC sport 40 first version with a second generation cowl

That doesn't look like a David Frank hull.My bother has a David Frank boat in wood and it doesn't look like that one.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Show us a pic of the whole top of boat.Wood stringers? Could be a early PT boat with a a/c cowl

I know you would like to find out the history as to who built it and such, but the history will continue when you get it rigged and run it!!!!! Some day someone could come up to you and say that he knows that boat. It won't happen sitting on the shelf!!

Brad

I agree with you Brad! It looks like a good boat and I'm excited to see how it will run.Going to start working on it this weekend.

I know you would like to find out the history as to who built it and such, but the history will continue when you get it rigged and run it!!!!! Some day someone could come up to you and say that he knows that boat. It won't happen sitting on the shelf!!

Brad

the bottom of my dave frank wood hull is identical.

built using the dave frank 1/12 scale 8255 sport hull plans from RC Boat Modeler magazine.

2000 - 2003 time frame.

plans enlarged to 43 inches for gas power.

PT gas sport cowl

post-6264-0-69589600-1506880337.jpg

ObertoHydroplane.pdf

Oberto_2.pdf

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

Attachments

• ObertoHydroplane.pdf
    355.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Oberto_2.pdf
    147.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Need to get PT to weigh in here looks like a early boat of his to me
NO not one of my boats, all mine had the centernose and canardwings. That is based on the Dave Frank looks like an AC cowl, who built it unknown.

My boat was based on the Dave frank plans, friend of mine David York built one and then I built one with my changes to the nose and a GP style cowl. Took that boat to StLouis race and got a third place first time out, been better if that old fussy picco would have run. That was about 1989, later on that year i met Dwight Hartman and we did a glass mold of the boat. The first ones had wood engine well sides. In about 91 the newer hull with the Stealth cowls and glass engine wells were built and molds done. The Stealth cowl was a part off a ultra light plane wing tip, thank Dave York for that too.

Back