Stuck piston...nnnzzzzzzz!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also notice that the guy roping the engine only puts half a wrap of rope on the flywheel when he starts it. The bigger, higher compression engines can "kick back" when you pull the rope to start them and if it "kicks back" when you are pulling the rope the rope handle can break fingers............. right John? I learned from the guys that ran the 4 cylinder Mercs with the megaphones. They were the worst ones for doing this. By the way, Yamatos were famous for sticking pistons.

Dick Tyndall

Not enough castor...
default_sad.png

I always heard that the guys running these mod engines ran a straight 80/20 mix of methanol and castor. At least the ones running the tuned pipes usually ran the 80/20 mix. Some of the lesser modified Yamatos still ran a gas and oil mix. The Yamato I ran on my hydro was a stock engine that ran on gas. I ran a 16:1 oil mix ( which is a lot of oil ) of OMC petroleum based oil and always kept a read on the spark plugs ( never ran too lean ) and never stuck a piston. Most of these outboard engines were forced-water cooling with the water pickup somewhere on the lower gear housing. The higher you got the gear housing the faster you could go ( sound familiar? ). Get it too high and you start loosing your cooling water ( not to mention boat stability ). This is what causes most of the stuck pistons........overheating! Mr. Beardslee is much more educated with this than I am.

Dick Tyndall

These were awesome in "the day".......haven't seen many around for a few years. Looks like he was running an older style foot with a nose cone and they

had a tendency to lift the rear of the boat......they went to a "hatchet style" later and they were a lot more stable.

Hey Dick,

We didn't call it sticking a piston - just melting a piston or more. If you were going to run with the "Big Dogs" you melted a piston in the last heat of each class at the end of the day. If it was a 2 day race, everyone else went out for dinner - we rebuilt engines - carried lots of new pistons and rings. The Loopers were much easier rebuild as they had a split crankcase and a removable head. The old 30H, 55H & 75H Mercs were a 2 man job just to get the rings compressed and into the jug. No split crankcase and a one piece jug with no removable head. We used to lay the powerheads in our lap, yuk. Thank goodness we have selective memories - if it hadn't been for this thread I wouldn't have thought of it. On the F-Hydro, the engines were run high enough that an auxillary rudder was used to get the boat to turn on the course, we used rev sticks to lift the engines, rev sticks were pieces of old wooden yard sticks cut to short lengths and taped together in different thickness for each prop. When's the last time you saw a wooden yard stick? Many people ran "Chris Go" fuel direct from Quincy Welding Products (mfgr of the Looper engines) but my family mixed there own, using methanol, castor and later Klotz Techniplate. I think the 80-20 mix is what we used as that's what I mixed when I started running toy boats in 1969.

John

Hey Dick,

We didn't call it sticking a piston - just melting a piston or more. If you were going to run with the "Big Dogs" you melted a piston in the last heat of each class at the end of the day. If it was a 2 day race, everyone else went out for dinner - we rebuilt engines - carried lots of new pistons and rings. The Loopers were much easier rebuild as they had a split crankcase and a removable head. The old 30H, 55H & 75H Mercs were a 2 man job just to get the rings compressed and into the jug. No split crankcase and a one piece jug with no removable head. We used to lay the powerheads in our lap, yuk. Thank goodness we have selective memories - if it hadn't been for this thread I wouldn't have thought of it. On the F-Hydro, the engines were run high enough that an auxillary rudder was used to get the boat to turn on the course, we used rev sticks to lift the engines, rev sticks were pieces of old wooden yard sticks cut to short lengths and taped together in different thickness for each prop. When's the last time you saw a wooden yard stick? Many people ran "Chris Go" fuel direct from Quincy Welding Products (mfgr of the Looper engines) but my family mixed there own, using methanol, castor and later Klotz Techniplate. I think the 80-20 mix is what we used as that's what I mixed when I started running toy boats in 1969.

John

"Rev sticks" - old wooden yard sticks. Love it John!
default_smile.png

I forgot to add about the megaphone stacks, they scavanged really well when you got the length right but with no converging cone and stinger you wasted a lot of fuel and it took a larger tank than after "Tuned Pipes" came along. The megaphones on the Loopers were cast aluminum and were held in the manifold pocket and filler block with coil springs. My Dad & uncle's background in motorcycle racing was a great resource, I had some engines they had adapted to run Harley Davison coils and battery ignition instead of a magneto. To run Alky and perform well you ran really high compression compared to gas (stock outboard) and the pit crew would have to lift the back of the hull high enough to get the prop out of the water and use a half wrap of rope to start. A friend of ours had a 75 cubic inch Evinrude with big Greeves Blooy pipes that was fast enough to break the Outboard speed record but they could never get it started at the Kilo's or Speed trials. The crew would lift the boat, his dad sat on a stool and put both feet on the side of the block to pull start with a rope half wrap. A lot of the stock engines had a timing advance geared to the throttle, but I don't recall any fuel boats using that, timing was critical and you used to sneak up on the ideal number, we used light bulbs or buzzer and degree wheels to set the points and timing. The thrill of speed over water is at least twice that over land and the adrenaline rush is the same no matter how you get it, full size or toy, it's all good.

I forgot to add about the megaphone stacks, they scavanged really well when you got the length right but with no converging cone and stinger you wasted a lot of fuel and it took a larger tank than after "Tuned Pipes" came along. The megaphones on the Loopers were cast aluminum and were held in the manifold pocket and filler block with coil springs. My Dad & uncle's background in motorcycle racing was a great resource, I had some engines they had adapted to run Harley Davison coils and battery ignition instead of a magneto. To run Alky and perform well you ran really high compression compared to gas (stock outboard) and the pit crew would have to lift the back of the hull high enough to get the prop out of the water and use a half wrap of rope to start. A friend of ours had a 75 cubic inch Evinrude with big Greeves Blooy pipes that was fast enough to break the Outboard speed record but they could never get it started at the Kilo's or Speed trials. The crew would lift the boat, his dad sat on a stool and put both feet on the side of the block to pull start with a rope half wrap. A lot of the stock engines had a timing advance geared to the throttle, but I don't recall any fuel boats using that, timing was critical and you used to sneak up on the ideal number, we used light bulbs or buzzer and degree wheels to set the points and timing. The thrill of speed over water is at least twice that over land and the adrenaline rush is the same no matter how you get it, full size or toy, it's all good.

"full size or toy, it's all good."

I prefer to think of it as Big toy or little toy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andy,

Most of the yard sticks were between an 1/8" & 3/16" thick, we'd test and keep raising the engine until the prop slipped in race water and take one stick out and that was the height we ran at. Setting the carbs on the big engines was always and adventure - imagine this, a 14-1/2 foot hydro with a 6 cylinder engine on the back with all the fairings and cowls removed - my brother driving with me in the back turning the needles at close to 100 mph! He was looking forward, holding full throttle, he couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear him, I was trying to match 3 carbs - in later years I built a baby food jar & water monometer that made that whole adventure much more controllable. Would still love to climb in and go for just one more ride!!! Some place there are old 8mm films of me getting pitched out of a D-Hydro at about 85 mph (55H on Alky) when the boat hit a hole in the water and stuck - I did 5 cartwheels before stopping - they red flagged the heat - I swam back to the boat they towed me in - we refueled and refired the boat and went back out for the heat. I'm sure I'd be in the hospital if I did that today!! Old memories - must be the turkey!!!

Thanks, John

Latest posts

Back