Nitro Supervee 27 pipe recommendations and introduction

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianNeumann

Hello everyone!

I just joined this forum today and I am very excited to learn and speak to people I've respected for years. I started rc boating when I was a kid after picking up an issue of rc boat modeler that caught my eye. It had a BBY Boatworks mono on the cover and was so cool looking I was instantly hooked. I bought a Dumas 3.5 tunnel and a k&b outboard and had a blast for may summers. I purchased the supervee in 2009 and a had a lot of fun, but then got too busy and it has sat for a few years. Now I'm back into hobby and running the boat every other day. I would like to upgrade the stock pipe to something quieter but equal if not better performance. I was thinking of the super tigre pipe but heard it doesn't work well with the stock aquacraft engine. I am running grim racer 30% nitro and a grim 40×52 3 blade prop. Everything else is stock. I have never tuned a pipe but am willing to try. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. The local pond is surrounded by houses and I don't want to upset the homeowners with all the noise the stock pipe makes. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to introduce myself and say its awesome to see j.d. grim racer, mark s. and many others on this site. Mr. Dunlaps magazine articles introduced me to the hobby. grim racers boat design got me back into the hobby, and Mark S sold me a custom prop years ago for my Dumas tunnel that was awesome through his website.

Thank you!

Thanks jerry! Do I have to tune/cut it? Also will I need to modify anything to make it fit in the hull? Neither are an issue I am just curious.

Your tips in the old rcbm magazines helped me set that tunnel up perfectly when I was a kid.

Thanks jerry! Do I have to tune/cut it? Also will I need to modify anything to make it fit in the hull? Neither are an issue I am just curious.
I would not cut on the AQ Quiet Pipe. If after running it with the standard header length, you could cut some of the header to shorten the pipe. I haven't cut any of the stock headers since the pipe seemed to be working fine.

JD

Your tips in the old rcbm magazines helped me set that tunnel up perfectly when I was a kid.
I'm glad you actually read the articles. Most guys tell me they just look at the pictures
default_rolleyes.gif

JD

I ordered the super tigre pipe today. I want to upgrade the servos as well. What torque and speed do you guys recommend for the rudder and throttle? I have a nice airtronics 2.4 radio and would like some nice digital servos to go with it.

i installed the pipe last weekend and also some spektrum s6040 digital servos and the engine definitely quieted down although i did not see any increase in power and maybe even a slight decrease. i had to trim about 3/8" off the header to make it fit inside the hull. im happy because my main concern was noise levels in the first place. also my connecting rod broke last weekend which i know is common. i have roughly 2 gallons through the motor so it was bound to break. i bought a new one and im installing it tonight. if i were to upgrade to a o.s. cvr-mx would that super tigre pipe work?

another question; the stinger is offset on the new pipe. should i rotate the pipe so its on top or have it on the bottom? currently i have it on the bottom because the pressure fitting hits the side of the radio box if its rotated to be on top.

Well my piston seized up in my liner on my aqucraft .18 motor. I'm thinking of buying the supertigre .18 since there aren't many other options. Can I convert that motor to pull start? I don't want to buy a starting wand and I've read the super start system breaks easily. Anyone know if its possible?

I was able to convert the super tigre on rooad .18 pull start to work on the marine engine. I used the one way bearing and shaft the bearing rides on. It will fit into the hex on the center of the pull start and also the backplate mounting holes will line right up to the pull start mounting holes. I ran it today and the pull start worked great!

Back