Miss Vegas Duece - .150 Shaft Problems

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis Maglinger

My daughter and brothers Vegas keep breaking shafts. Sometimes they break at the stub and some knot up before going into engine collet. We have probably broke 4-5 shafts and several props. Is there any better shafts or recommended modifications to keep the shafts and props intact? It's tough to explain to your daughter that she ran great at race up to the point of the shaft failure. I'm changing the poor quality engine collet they come with. I've replaced 2-3 just because they won't let go of the shaft after just tightening it once. thx in advance

One of the things that can cause the shafts to break is the alignment, or lack there of, to the flex shaft and flex hex coupler. I've had to realign the engine with small shims to allow the flex shaft to slide into the coupler without any bind.

JD

Thanks guys.....I'll double check alignment and look at the octura shaft. It's probably the best boat for the money. My daughter can run it in the RTR and also be very competitive in sport 20 to allow her more race time (since the drivers tend to still run full throttle..... Which cause them to lean or flip engender when they have the race locked up). I can handle the driver errors from her, just need the boat to stay together.

I have a vegas myself.

Octura collet. Yes.

No more than a 1/4" between collet and stuffing tube, tight as possible but enough to release cable. The only time I had curl is to much gap.

Tim

You still have that lathe, Mike? It wouldn't take a skilled machinist much to turn one down
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You still have that lathe, Mike? It wouldn't take a skilled machinist much to turn one down
default_wink.png
Nope, I sold all my shaft and bushing building goodies and all my materials- I built a ton of shafts over the years and things do keep popping up when I move things around lol (except a shaft soldering jig, its somewhere in the garage)

Make sure alignment is on the money,also Teflon liner can cause problems,also prop must be balanced perfectly,found that was the most critical part and the cheap collet must go because damage happens to cable pulling it out when its stuck,the collet for the super v works good or a octura replacement!

Take out the teflon liner and replace it with a peice of brass tube for the .150" shaft and use oil or lithium grease to lube the cable along with the Octura shaft, cable collet and a good balanced prop. This will help and remember to lube the cable and clean and lube after the day's running! You have to maintain your equipment.

Brad

Boaters,

We have found the Y-535 reduced to 34 mm to be a REALLY GOOD PROPELLER

On those little boats. The reduction helps the motor and pipe to come alive.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Brad,

Dave at Hyperformance Products is making up better shafts for those boats now.

It should be an upgrade from the stock China ones. We may have found another

EXCELLENT PROPELLER ABC 1314/3 I will see if I can send you one to test?

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Brad,

Dave at Hyperformance Products is making up better shafts for those boats now.

It should be an upgrade from the stock China ones. We may have found another

EXCELLENT PROPELLER ABC 1314/3 I will see if I can send you one to test?

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
That is going to really help out the RTR's forsure! I would love to try out that prop, however I might have to try it on my nieces because I am in the process of selling my RTR. Perfect Season with it 1st place Throphy every race and won the Series traveling Throphy as well in District 14. (time to retire it) We have the Y535 that you made up on hers as well so we can forsure checkout the 1314/3 blade. Thanks for thinking about us RTR guys
default_smile.png

Back