Vans Racing Goes FE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin Jordan

I've had a some nice conversations with Carl over the past couple of weeks, discussing tunnels and the success I've had running my Lynx to a National Championship, a pretty amazing P-OPC 2-Lap Record, and pretty much every NAMBA FE record that exists for P-LTD OPC, and discussing what the next steps might be. I know there is still a lot of "meat on the bone" in all those areas.

Since I already own one of each other type of generally available Vans Racing hulls that Carl has put out over the years, including another Lynx, a Shaman, a Warhead, and an old Hornet, it looks like I am going to be building each one up as an FE offering to see what I can do with them in all the facets of NAMBA; Heat Racing, 2-Lap, and SAW.

While I don't consider myself an OPC expert by ANY stretch of the imagination, I do have some experience up to this point with FE Tunnels, and most has been successful, so we'll see if I can apply that going forward and work with Carl to optimize these when setup for FE use. As I've always done in the past, perhaps in learning and openly sharing these builds, it'll help push more people into the OPC side of the hobby. That's always my goal, because the more racers there are, the more fun it is for everyone.

Carl also asked me to work with him on a "new" project, which could prove to be exciting. More details on that as I get them and am able to share.

All this will take place over time, but I have one immediate goal in mind which is to perhaps debut something "new" in October at the NAMBA "Super Nationals" in Vegas. Well, perhaps not "debut", but race for sure. It'll need to be well sorted and proven prior to that event, but getting that done is the goal this year.

Would also like to have something to take to Huntsville for the IMPBA Time-Trials there in July.

News? Perhaps not, but it's a slow morning at work and I figured you guys could use either a good morning read, or good morning laugh. Whichever I've provided, I'm happy I could help!
default_biggrin.png

Here's to a fun a productive 2017!!

20170107_140836.jpg 20170107_140816.jpg 20170107_140847.jpg

And a little Teaser... Perhaps of things to come.

Tease_002.jpg

I'm curious as to what you find to be a good starting point for prop centerline on a FE tunnel in relation to bottom of sponsons. A friend is converting an old nitro HTB 360 to FE and not sure where to start. It handled well just a hair above center with the nitro setup but that goes against everything we've done with FE so far. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm curious as to what you find to be a good starting point for prop centerline on a FE tunnel in relation to bottom of sponsons. A friend is converting an old nitro HTB 360 to FE and not sure where to start. It handled well just a hair above center with the nitro setup but that goes against everything we've done with FE so far. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Depends on the hull and prop combo, so some degree, but generally the centerline of the propshaft is about 0.250" above the setup table... to start.

I've had a some nice conversations with Carl over the past couple of weeks, discussing tunnels and the success I've had running my Lynx to a National Championship, a pretty amazing P-OPC 2-Lap Record, and pretty much every NAMBA FE record that exists for P-LTD OPC, and discussing what the next steps might be. I know there is still a lot of "meat on the bone" in all those areas.

Since I already own one of each other type of generally available Vans Racing hulls that Carl has put out over the years, including another Lynx, a Shaman, a Warhead, and an old Hornet, it looks like I am going to be building each one up as an FE offering to see what I can do with them in all the facets of NAMBA; Heat Racing, 2-Lap, and SAW.

While I don't consider myself an OPC expert by ANY stretch of the imagination, I do have some experience up to this point with FE Tunnels, and most has been successful, so we'll see if I can apply that going forward and work with Carl to optimize these when setup for FE use. As I've always done in the past, perhaps in learning and openly sharing these builds, it'll help push more people into the OPC side of the hobby. That's always my goal, because the more racers there are, the more fun it is for everyone.

Carl also asked me to work with him on a "new" project, which could prove to be exciting. More details on that as I get them and am able to share.

All this will take place over time, but I have one immediate goal in mind which is to perhaps debut something "new" in October at the NAMBA "Super Nationals" in Vegas. Well, perhaps not "debut", but race for sure. It'll need to be well sorted and proven prior to that event, but getting that done is the goal this year.

Would also like to have something to take to Huntsville for the IMPBA Time-Trials there in July.

News? Perhaps not, but it's a slow morning at work and I figured you guys could use either a good morning read, or good morning laugh. Whichever I've provided, I'm happy I could help!
default_biggrin.png

Here's to a fun a productive 2017!!

attachicon.gif
20170107_140836.jpg
attachicon.gif
20170107_140816.jpg
attachicon.gif
20170107_140847.jpg

And a little Teaser... Perhaps of things to come.

attachicon.gif
Tease_002.jpg
It should get interesting for sure...

There was some thought that the Shaman would be a better P limited heat race hull than the Lynx. The latest P limited boats are getting fast enough to need a bigger hull, especially when it gets rough.

Lohring Miller

the teaser is a real teaser...hard to see exactly what it is...you are doing a good job on those testing.....

Btw how can you tell the difference between a Shaman and a Warhead?

If you look carefully, the Warhead (3rd from the right in white) has a deeper recessed transom, and there are some steps on the front of the bottom (anti-dive area) of the right-side sponson. I think (need to re-measure) that the Warhead is also a tick larger overall.

Talking with Carl, the Warhead was developed to work with the Lawless 7.5 Lowers, and doesn't do well with the K&B 7.5s, which is why the transom has the additional recess.

Guess it's a good think I have a brand new Lawless 7.5 lower here, about finalized for it's conversion for FE power.
default_smile.png

The Shaman built lite is a very good spec/limited/3661 boat. May be a 1-2 mph slower than a Lynx but will handle rougher water and turn very well without surprises. As a Q boat the Shaman is a handful. The Warhead is a couple inches longer and does better as a Q. We use K&B lowers with set back mounts getting the hinge pivot closer to the end of the rear sponsons.

Mic

If you look carefully, the Warhead (3rd from the right in white) has a deeper recessed transom, and there are some steps on the front of the bottom (anti-dive area) of the right-side sponson. I think (need to re-measure) that the Warhead is also a tick larger overall.

Talking with Carl, the Warhead was developed to work with the Lawless 7.5 Lowers, and doesn't do well with the K&B 7.5s, which is why the transom has the additional recess.

Guess it's a good think I have a brand new Lawless 7.5 lower here, about finalized for it's conversion for FE power.
default_smile.png

The Shaman built lite is a very good spec/limited/3661 boat. May be a 1-2 mph slower than a Lynx but will handle rougher water and turn very well without surprises. As a Q boat the Shaman is a handful. The Warhead is a couple inches longer and does better as a Q. We use K&B lowers with set back mounts getting the hinge pivot closer to the end of the rear sponsons.

Mic
thanks for explaining guys...

Back