1/6 scale hulls

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Taylor

Was wondering who else makes gas scale hulls besides ml boatworks and rc boatcompany. was leaning towards making a 88 miller high life. had an old dumas kit back in the day and was my first scale boat. Any help will be appreciated

thanks

Ryan

Can always just blow up a set of 1/8 scale plans and do it old school from scratch.

true, but i really dont have the tools to do that unfortunately

Last edited by a moderator:
All it would really take to build a boat is:

1) a hand held jig/scroll/coping saw

2) a hand cranked drill with drill bits or, preferably, a Dremel tool with some assorted bits

3) a flat sanding block of some sort or, preferably, a powered belt sander

4) a set of Exacto knives with a razor saw blade and miter box

5) a set of small spring clamps of some sort

With that all said, you would obviously be able to work faster with powered tools but, again, they are a convenience and not a necessity. I built my first boat, a Dumas sport 20 Pay'N Pak, with a set of Exacto knives and a wood sanding block so I know it can be done with very limited tools

Was wondering who else makes gas scale hulls besides ml boatworks and rc boatcompany. was leaning towards making a 88 miller high life. had an old dumas kit back in the day and was my first scale boat. Any help will be appreciated

thanks

Ryan
ML sells 1/6.667 gas scale wood frame kits and many other wood kits in various scales.

ken olson sells a composite "glass" 102 - xxxx gas scale round nose

jeff snell used to sell an epoxy glass 108-7474 pickle fork gas scale

and possibly a 138-8255 pickle fork gas scale.

rc boat company sells a 103-6407 (?) pointed bow round nose epoxy glass round nose

and a 108-7474 pickle fork gas scales. check the web site.

I don't know of anyone, other than maybe Mike, that sells a gas scale 8401 or 8700 hull, the two that can make the 88 Miller. That's also the reason I'm building a 7325 using up-sized Newton plans with measurements I've personally taken off the full sized boat. I want my boat to look right, not just be close enough to fool others

I don't know of anyone, other than maybe Mike, that sells a gas scale 8401 or 8700 hull, the two that can make the 88 Miller. That's also the reason I'm building a 7325 using up-sized Newton plans with measurements I've personally taken off the full sized boat. I want my boat to look right, not just be close enough to fool others
You really need to get over the fact that sometimes with the resources not available your not going to get everything exact on a Scale boat. Get over it.

Get over what? I can't be going for exact since the boat isn't the same as when it raced back in the 70s. The right sponson is different in shape and size after damage in the early 80s, the left has had the bottom redone so neither is a match to the original plans. There are a few other things that have also been reworked. That just means that some things are going to be "best guess" and others are going to be right. It would be up to others to tell which is which

My kits are designed to look correct from the top side, but per the current rules, have the undercarriage to handle today's power and speeds.

Mark, I know you want your boats to be perfectly scale, but the bottom line is this..if they are for static display, cool, if you plan on actually racing one, you will never have a good handling or competitive hull. The simple fact is scaled down hulls just do not handle properly for what we try to accomplish. Another thing, is 8 years have passed, and I have not seen you finish any of your scales. I don't know about you, but I am now 40 years old, and time is passing by quick..If I was in a position to run boats right now, I sure would want to finish one and go enjoy it, and not just pull measurements for years and years hoping to make it perfect...that gets to be kind of ridiculous does it not? Why not just finish the boats you have started? .

I built this 1/6667 from Mike's awesome laser cut frame...His stuff is amazing.

20180501_195303.jpg

My kits are designed to look correct from the top side, but per the current rules, have the undercarriage to handle today's power and speeds.

Mark, I know you want your boats to be perfectly scale, but the bottom line is this..if they are for static display, cool, if you plan on actually racing one, you will never have a good handling or competitive hull. The simple fact is scaled down hulls just do not handle properly for what we try to accomplish. Another thing, is 8 years have passed, and I have not seen you finish any of your scales. I don't know about you, but I am now 40 years old, and time is passing by quick..If I was in a position to run boats right now, I sure would want to finish one and go enjoy it, and not just pull measurements for years and years hoping to make it perfect...that gets to be kind of ridiculous does it not? Why not just finish the boats you have started? .
Let me make this easy to understand:

1) I do work for a living. Between 6:00 Monday morning and right now, being 7:30 Thursday morning, I've already clocked well over 40 hours between working and commuting

2) I do have a life outside of work and boating. Other interests have had me all over the map and will continue to do so

3) Last I heard, unless the laws have changed, THERE IS NO TIME LIMIT ON HOW LONG YOU HAVE TO BUILD A NEW BOAT

Let me make this easy to understand:

1) I do work for a living. Between 6:00 Monday morning and right now, being 7:30 Thursday morning, I've already clocked well over 40 hours between working and commuting

2) I do have a life outside of work and boating. Other interests have had me all over the map and will continue to do so

3) Last I heard, unless the laws have changed, THERE IS NO TIME LIMIT ON HOW LONG YOU HAVE TO BUILD A NEW BOAT
Mark,

I think what is trying to be conveyed to you is:

1: People are tired of your silly ass opinions on the inner workings of a SCALE MODEL BOAT!

2: Most of us on this forum are RACERS, some of us are builders, that build boats to RACE.

Others are more interested in racing, and are what I call "plug and play" model boaters. They want something NOW so they can hit the water and compete.

I hold NOTHING against them, as they are model boaters also and just don't have the time or interest in building. We race head to head and have fun.

Are there boats, or mine perfectly scale Hell no!!! do I care,,,, NO. Do they conform to the rule book? more that likely. If it's a flagrant issue I will lend a hand to correct the issue......

But I guess I can do that,, because I actually show up at lake on race day and RACE A BOAT!!!!

3: Hell, I have built and given more scale boats away in the last 6 years than you have completed.

I'll go one step further,, I have given more boats away than laps you have completed in the last 6 years.

4: So, do us all a favor,,, until you have actually finished a boat and competed deck to deck with us.

KEEP YOUR OPINIONS AND ADVISE TO YOURSELF!

I think I am done with my RANT

Back to my better living through chemistry.

HAHHAHAHAHAAH!!! **** this is good stuff
default_biggrin.png
default_tongue.png
default_laugh.png

Thank you Dave...Yes it was a one off I made from foam mold. It was a pain but I like the final result.
default_smile.png

guys I really didn't mean to start an argument over it was just wanting something different to look at

Back