paint question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john v

Supporting Member
looked around in the how to area but wanted to ask anyway, I have a leecraft xt460 about 18 years old and it was sprayed with top flight lustercote from a rattlecan. the clear turned dark and I wanted to strip it top and bottom and repaint with clear. my question is what is safe to strip the old top flight paint off?. I heard of citristrip and aircraft remover but I don't want to damage the hull. tried acetone and brake / carb clean with not much luck. any tips would be great. thank you john virgalla

If the paint isnt cracked up, you should be fine with a good sanding (400 grit) and sealing prior to paint. I would personally try to get most of the clear off since its turming, but in my opinion dont think its necessary to strip it.

Aircraft stripper is fine.. I have done this MANY times on a epoxyglass boat.. no issues.

Grim

very good advice guys, after the hull is all stripped I am going to buy some of the automotive paint that is loaded into a rattlecan with hopefully clear already in the paint, don't know much about it but I know a guy who is a rep for a paint company who can direct me . I don't want to get into the compresser and spray gun route. beyond my skill level

Latest posts

Back