New to this game, questions popping up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejohnson

Hi all.

I'm a long time rc nut but relatively new to boats. I recently bought some tunnel hulls locally and much of the stuff that goes with them. Naturally there are some questions. I understand there is racing within a few hours of here and it's something I'd like to try. I hear there is a big race coming up next month near Atlanta and a place out in the country in Georgia a bit further away. My first question involves a 3.5c class hull, I have four. One is a VS-1 which I understand is quite good. Two others I'm told are HotShot wood hulls and the fourth I have no idea. Something called a Cobra maybe? Anyway all are K&B powered and seem to run quite well. Since K&B is long gone and technology advances I am wondering what is more current and race capable. I heard Thunder Tiger had an outboard but they've also folded up and I believe OS has one which is well thought of. I love OS in airplanes so unless someone says not to I suspect one will find its way here fairly soon. There are also three .40 size hulls. One appears to be a HotShot, a wood hull and the other two I have no idea. They are glass hulls and one is ready to run. The HotShot has a foot on it, looks like K&B and one of the glass hulls has a complete K&B on it and runs well. I also have a damaged K&B with at least a broken rod and not sure what else. It's in pieces in a Ziploc. Is there another engine (powerhead?) that I can simply bolt to the foot? Something that can race but with parts availability? Last one is a small outrigger. It has what I think is a Nova Rossi .12 or maybe an .18. Tried to run it but it just sits there and cavitates makes a lot of noise but goes nowhere. I'm thinking a prop issue, what is a good prop for this inboard setup? Everything else seems in good condition and if there is a race class for it I'd race it. I've flown some NR engines and know them to be very good so I hold out high hopes for this boat. Thanks for any input.

MJ

Mike,

First and fore most welcome to the RC boat hobby. Glad you are asking questions.

The hull IS important BUT.. as you can imagine ALL aspects need to come together to make for a good (or great) running tunnel. The motors you have (K+
default_cool.png
CAN run VERY well. IF the K+B units you have have a black or gold head you will be just fine for your first race.. The older aluminum head motors can be harder to make go fast (UNLESS.. it has a tuned pipe on it)

I would concentrate on the VS-1.. no particular reason why.......

When the time comes.. I would pass on the TT motor and TOTALLY head the direction of the OS Motor. Dont buy into all the hype about sending the motor off to a builder.. just take it out of the package, break it in and RACE IT!

Fuel and glow plug are ALSO very important. You are going to want to run as much nitro as your budget allows and use a good plug.. (truth is the OS#8 is a darn good racing plug for the 21 OB)..

Now would be a good time to also start learning about props.. Lots of VERY good choices with a 21 tunnel.. The Octura M-440 is a good start as well as the Grimracer 40X53..

I am not much help with the larger boats.. many others around here can help...

Enjoy and welcome!

Grim

For the 40 size boat you cant go wrong with a NovaRossi .46 outboard powerhead. It bolts directly on to your K&B lower and it is pretty much rock & roll from there.

Salisbury power pipe is a fairly good choice of pipe.

Ron Shaw is the guy to talk to for the 46 power head and he has pipes too. The OS is the power of choice for your 21 VS1. The Hot Shots are heavier and older so you won't be that competitive with them. Find yor local boat club and they will be happy to help you out and it is more fun to run with others!!! And safer!!! Welcome to the hobby of model boating!!

Brad

Mike,

First and fore most welcome to the RC boat hobby. Glad you are asking questions.

The hull IS important BUT.. as you can imagine ALL aspects need to come together to make for a good (or great) running tunnel. The motors you have (K+
default_cool.png
CAN run VERY well. IF the K+B units you have have a black or gold head you will be just fine for your first race.. The older aluminum head motors can be harder to make go fast (UNLESS.. it has a tuned pipe on it)

When the time comes.. I would pass on the TT motor and TOTALLY head the direction of the OS Motor. Dont buy into all the hype about sending the motor off to a builder.. just take it out of the package, break it in and RACE IT!

Fuel and glow plug are ALSO very important. You are going to want to run as much nitro as your budget allows and use a good plug.. (truth is the OS#8 is a darn good racing plug for the 21 OB)..

Now would be a good time to also start learning about props.. Lots of VERY good choices with a 21 tunnel.. The Octura M-440 is a good start as well as the Grimracer 40X53..

Enjoy and welcome!

Grim
Mike hit the nail on the head. When the time comes, Stock O.S. And never look back for that VS1. The cobra also is a hoot with one, but some of those boats had twisted bottoms so that is something else you will have to look at. Personally we run the x442 Lynx Cut for a prop, available from Sholund, but many factors play into what prop you run.The 40 Hulls are intriguing, the hot shot is an outdated design, especially for the only currently available .46 powerhead in the Novarossi. The glass hulls however may be something, pictures would help a ton in discerning what they are.

Novarossi .46, Salisbury .46 pipe, and you will be all set with your 40 program. That is the benchmark setup these days

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

default_cool.png

Enjoy and welcome!

Grim
Hmmm ," no particular reason why" I'm sure it has nothing to do with the designer.
default_rolleyes.gif

Dunny

Thanks for all the input. One of these .40's looks like it is a pipe engine based on the configuration of the foot. Also a pipe came with it. One of the larger hulls has a sticker that says HyPoint on it. It's glass and red in color. I tried it out this afternoon along with one of the HotShots and they both ran very nicely. Not the fastest in a race I'm sure but I'd like to get in some race experience before bringing out the faster boats. That has worked well in pylon racing. Who or what is Sholund? I will need to have extra props I'm sure. Photos coming tonight.

MJ

Ok so here, I hope, are some photos of two of the .40 boats. One is of course the HyPoint. The other, no idea. It came with the top shown but I don't think it is correct, it doesn't really fit. I can probably modify it to fit but only if it looks good and not some hack up job. Any ideas what it is?1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Ok so here, I hope, are some photos of two of the .40 boats. One is of course the HyPoint. The other, no idea. It came with the top shown but I don't think it is correct, it doesn't really fit. I can probably modify it to fit but only if it looks good and not some hack up job. Any ideas what it is? 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
Ahh, bingo_Once you want to delve deeper into the hobby, the boat with the gray cowling is gonna be the ticket. Its a savage, designed by Carl Van Houten (Vans Racing)

Also an older design, but still kicking tail today. Those are popular with the .46 powerheads, as well as the E/F tunnels. The KB you are running now will still love the hull. That was my first .40 Hull, a blast to drive.

He redesigned the hull as the Hornet later on, which changed the nose design. That would explain why your cowling does not fit properly, all though it actually is the correct design other than the front. Im sure you could modify it to fit.

Hi all.

I'm a long time rc nut but relatively new to boats. I recently bought some tunnel hulls locally and much of the stuff that goes with them. Naturally there are some questions. I understand there is racing within a few hours of here and it's something I'd like to try. I hear there is a big race coming up next month near Atlanta and a place out in the country in Georgia a bit further away. My first question involves a 3.5c class hull, I have four. One is a VS-1 which I understand is quite good. Two others I'm told are HotShot wood hulls and the fourth I have no idea. Something called a Cobra maybe? Anyway all are K&B powered and seem to run quite well. Since K&B is long gone and technology advances I am wondering what is more current and race capable. I heard Thunder Tiger had an outboard but they've also folded up and I believe OS has one which is well thought of. I love OS in airplanes so unless someone says not to I suspect one will find its way here fairly soon. There are also three .40 size hulls. One appears to be a HotShot, a wood hull and the other two I have no idea. They are glass hulls and one is ready to run. The HotShot has a foot on it, looks like K&B and one of the glass hulls has a complete K&B on it and runs well. I also have a damaged K&B with at least a broken rod and not sure what else. It's in pieces in a Ziploc. Is there another engine (powerhead?) that I can simply bolt to the foot? Something that can race but with parts availability? Last one is a small outrigger. It has what I think is a Nova Rossi .12 or maybe an .18. Tried to run it but it just sits there and cavitates makes a lot of noise but goes nowhere. I'm thinking a prop issue, what is a good prop for this inboard setup? Everything else seems in good condition and if there is a race class for it I'd race it. I've flown some NR engines and know them to be very good so I hold out high hopes for this boat. Thanks for any input.

MJ
Mike,

We are planning to go to that race and will be glad to help you.

-Carl

Well I had an interesting run on two boats today, both the HotShot 21 Sprint hulls. One of them seems to run just fine, no bad habits and reasonably quick. The other one is much more difficult. Both are set up identically, same engine, radio, servos and so on. The second one had never been run and on the first time ran with the nose a lot higher than the first boat. It also didn't want to turn unless I slowed it down and let the nose level into the water. Then it turned very tightly. I trimmed the engine a little with two washers under each of the top mount screws. This brought the nose down quite nicely but it got VERY sensitive to turn inputs. More than a very small input would cause it to nearly hook around. I adjusted the endpoints and still had that problem, just extremely sensitive to right turn inputs. I finally noticed one difference in the two hulls. On the sensitive one there had been a modification to the bottom inside of each sponson. Whoever first built it added a thin sheet to the inside of each and it extends maybe 1/8" past the bottom structure. It's been faired in smoothly and looks well done. I guess someone decided to try and increase the performance. It is a little faster than the first boat and acts as though properly adjusted it will turn very accurately with some practice.Still won't be the fastest boat in the race but a good one to learn on. Balance is the same on both hulls anf radio/engine installations are nearly identical. Photos, not great ones, should be attached. The painted bottom is the sensitive one with the add ons while the wood colored one is as far as I know completely stock. Both are sealed with Z Poxy top and bottom.Ideas? Should these mods cause the boat to be so...tight?

MB

I hope I am better with boating than I am with this website. Photos, especially the one with the feature I'm talking about, suck. I don't know why it posted twice.

MJ

Thanks for all the input. One of these .40's looks like it is a pipe engine based on the configuration of the foot. Also a pipe came with it. One of the larger hulls has a sticker that says HyPoint on it. It's glass and red in color. I tried it out this afternoon along with one of the HotShots and they both ran very nicely. Not the fastest in a race I'm sure but I'd like to get in some race experience before bringing out the faster boats. That has worked well in pylon racing. Who or what is Sholund? I will need to have extra props I'm sure. Photos coming tonight.

MJ
Mike,

Who or what is Sholund?

See the post below.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Mike,

Sholund is my last name.

Props-4-U is the name of my propeller business that I have

operated for 16 years, I believe. I do mostly nitro boat propellers,

for a lot of racers around the world. There are plenty of good 21-tunnel

and 45-tunnel propellers on the market these days. A lot to choose from

for sure.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

231-590-3023

My PayPal and Email Address is: [email protected]

Hi all,

Been away a few days and not keeping up. Mark thanks for that information. I'll probably be placing an order with you in a few weeks.I'm going to go to the Atlanta race later this month and see what everyone is doing, no doubt tons of information available and it will hopefully keep me from buying stuff that I don't need. I'll enter the Sycamore race in November with the two boats I have running and spend the off season getting the Savage ready. I'll order an OS for the VS-1 and a Nova Rossi probably for the Savage, maybe a second power head for the High Point. I'm a big believer in spare everything. I'm also getting a fleet of pylon racers ready for the Nats next season so I'll have lots to do. I also need to trim out this HotShot Sprint that is so sensitive.

MJ

Hi Mike, Im a tunnel guy and have been for 20 years. Ill be at the Atlanta race along with all my tunnel buddies. Be sure to swing by the pits and introduce yourself, youll see my StumpFAB banner near my camper. Thanks!

Hi Mike, Im a tunnel guy and have been for 20 years. Ill be at the Atlanta race along with all my tunnel buddies. Be sure to swing by the pits and introduce yourself, youll see my StumpFAB banner near my camper. Thanks!
Yep count us in too. Just look out for the big guy with the mullet, youve found my dad!

Back