Anyone Know What this is?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydro Junkie

Okay Guys,

Trying to help someone out in another forum with a boat he has recently picked up. Since he's not really getting any help, thought I'd bring it over here for you all to take a gander at. Here's his first post:

Hello all, I recently picked up an apparently old(er) nitro hydro rigger. Looks to be in great shape. KB 35 engine, rudder bracket says MARINE SPECIALTIES. I've looked online for weeks and read everything I can find trying identify this boat. I would ultimately like to see it run and make waves again. Only missing parts are the exhaust pipe and remote. Engine turns but feels gummed up. Any ideas on year, make model? Value? (is it even worth messing with) I have a large collection of vintage rc cars and trucks but this is my first boat so any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry about the picture quality, I'll get a few better ones tomorrow if necessary. Thanks in advance.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2251200&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1515985688

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2251201&d=1515985688

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's his next post:

Any ideas? Homemade/kit? Obviously the fuel tank is homemade, quality on the rest is decent. Also any thoughts on what coating would be on a wood boat from years ago? The only fiberglass on the entire boat is the canopy (engine cover) but the coating on the wood appears to be gel coat? There's a few paint chips and some staining I'd like to address before spring and I'm not sure what I could recoat or touch up with. In the pic you can see the tank and also the "remains" of an exhaust system I'm desperately trying to figure out. Any suggestions on what my options for exhaust are? I appreciate any help, thanks.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2251448&d=1516228944

Looks like an Avenger Made by Don Wagner. A picture of the cowl may help. Also the tub sides and bulkheads were cedar about 3/8" thick. That was the first hydro I built from a kit and I still have a 45 and 60. They ran good. At least that's what I think it maybe.

Brad

I requested a better picture of the cowl so we'll see what we get. I didn't tell him what boat yet, only that someone thinks they can ID it

I'd say scratch built tub with Crapshooter sponsons. The turnfin is .21 Mongoose (1986) as is the engine plate with the large offset. Engine is mounted level with an S-bend shaft. Same as was done in the .21 Mongoose.

This boat was probably built around 1986-87.

The exhaust system is the K&B muffler with the end plates removed. That is the way racers (Marty Davis, Ed Hughey, Don Pinckert) used them back in the day.....and set records with that set up.

I love it when the person that made something can answer the question. I know, you didn't do the "shooter" but it's all good.

Thanks Andy

I love it when the person that made something can answer the question. I know, you didn't do the "shooter" but it's all good.

Thanks Andy
Marty Davis is busy with the Nirto race in Florida, but if he sees this he can confirm the Crapshooter parts, as he was the Crapshooter manufacture during that era.

Also, the large round aluminum booms tubes are from the .21 Crapshooter. I owned a 1981-1982 .21 and 45 Crapshooter at that time.

That's like the Crapshooter that i had back in the late 80's It has a hard line shaft

Dave

I have a 90 Avenger Spider and the sides were 5 ply birch plywood. I don't know what the inner layers are but sure looks like regular aircraft birch. Also had a 60 A/S and it had birch sides too. The sponsons were solid lightweight wood. Can't remember the type of wood but it was light.

Bill Hoch

I have a 90 Avenger Spider and the sides were 5 ply birch plywood. I don't know what the inner layers are but sure looks like regular aircraft birch. Also had a 60 A/S and it had birch sides too. The sponsons were solid lightweight wood. Can't remember the type of wood but it was light.

Bill Hoch
Is it possible the sponsons were balsa cored? AFAIK, balsa is the lightest wood there is

The sponsons were solid wood . Not as light as balsa. Now my curiosity has got me and I will research that.

Bill

Al hobbs had a set of those at a race and Isaw them. He new Don well and maybe he knows. I still have a 90 Avenger too from the late Gerry Pisinno. Spelling of the last name is wrong but Al or someone will remember RIP Gerry. It will be reborn too. The originals had A/S stamped inside st the engine bay. I never heard what happen to Don?

Brad

Getting back to the original post about the boat. Could it be a Dumas 21? I think they called it a Hawk.

Bill

Nope, not a hawk. Hawk has different size sponson from inside to outside. I did notice that it looks like it has a can exhaust coming out on the front of the motor. Its old school for sure. Looks like its got G plugs on servos. I have never seen a a futaba servo with a J plug and the twisted wire.

I did notice that it looks like it has a can exhaust coming out on the front of the motor.
I should read all the post. I see Andy pointed that out a way back. LOL

Also would like to add that I too own a Avenger 90 back in the day. I had two sets of sponson for it. One was a white foam overlay with ply. The other was bass wood.

Back