Criteria for getting into the Hall of Fame.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmaturo

There are two organizations here in the US that govern RC boat racing and that have a hall of fame. Here is the criteria for both:

I - IMPBA Hall of Fame Criteria

[SIZE=10pt]Through the years, several people have been honored by their peers for making a contribution to model boating. The following criteria have been established for making nominations to the Hall of Fame. [/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=10pt]Significant contributions to the advancement of model boating or competition. [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=10pt]Significant contributions to [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]IMPBA [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]as an organization. [/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=10pt]Significant national recognition as a competitor. [/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=10pt]Significant technical contributions to model boating as a hobby sport without receiving financial gain or manufacturer status as a result. [/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=10pt]Manufacturers must make significant contributions in areas other than for, or as a result of, their products to be considered. [/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=10pt]National championships or records are not required for consideration. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Each district can nominate 2 people each year, and any nominees will be voted on at the International Regatta Board meeting. A limit of two (2) of these nominees may be inducted per year. [/SIZE]

NAMBA

C. PROCESSFORNOMINATIONANDINDUCTION 1. Qualifications

1. [SIZE=12pt]a) Nominee must be a current NAMBA member, unless deceased, who has been a member for at least ten years. [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=12pt]
    default_cool.png
    Nominee should have held some of the items listed on the nomination form. These items include, but or not limited to: national/district offices, national/district chairmanships, national/district championships, national records (oval and/or straight-line), and experience as a district/national contest director. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Section Name: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]HALL OF FAME [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Appendix [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]B [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Page # [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Revised [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]12/31/12 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2. Nomination [/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=12pt]a) Nomination must be made by a current adult NAMBA member, who has been a member for at least five years. [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=12pt]
    default_cool.png
    The deadline for a nomination will be eight weeks prior to a scheduled induction ceremony. [/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=12pt]c) Must be made on the appropriate form, which can be received from the NAMBA office or from the Hall of Fame Chairman. Once completed the form must be returned to the Hall of Fame Chairman. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]3. V oting [/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=12pt]a) The Chairman forwards copies of all nomination forms received by the deadline to all the current Hall of Fame members for voting. [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=12pt]
    default_cool.png
    Nominees will be voted on by a simple majority of the returned votes from current Hall of Fame members. [/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=12pt]c) Only one person can be voted in during any given year. [/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=12pt]d) If a nominee fails to be voted in during a particular year, their name and application must be resubmitted for consideration in a following year. [/SIZE]

With that being spelled out above, do you think that there are people that meet the criteria but have not been accepted because someone did not like them?

There are probably members of each Hall of Fame that had someone who did not like them. But, it is a majority of those voting that make the decision.

It is not easy to be even considered for a Hall of Fame and those elected are normally very deserving.

There are probably members of each Hall of Fame that had someone who did not like them. But, it is a majority of those voting that make the decision.

It is not easy to be even considered for a Hall of Fame and those elected are normally very deserving.

I agree Al, is there anyway to see how members voted?

With that being spelled out above, do you think that there are people that meet the criteria but have not been accepted because someone did not like them?
What is the driving force behind this thread Jeff?
Just seems like it should be a little more inclusive. I clearly understand that this is an honor for someone that has done more than just raced or enjoyed boating but in the short time I have been around our hobby, it seems like many are deserving.

Meeting all the criteria is just the beginning. With respect to the comment "deserving"... please recognize there is a degree of magnitude each eligible voter has to apply to any given nominee's criteria of their categories. This is not easy.

I do not support a change where votes ever need to be published. If i recall when being a board member, the HOF voting was held in closed session only for the elected board members to discuss. I disagree on your statement about being more inclusive; however, you can follow the procedure and flood your district director with nominations.

Respectfully,

MG

Meeting all the criteria is just the beginning. With respect to the comment "deserving"... please recognize there is a degree of magnitude each eligible voter has to apply to any given nominee's criteria of their categories. This is not easy.

I do not support a change where votes ever need to be published. If i recall when being a board member, the HOF voting was held in closed session only for the elected board members to discuss. I disagree on your statement about being more inclusive; however, you can follow the procedure and flood your district director with nominations.

Respectfully,

MG
Thank you for your input. Jeff

Boaters,

Just a little update before the Huntsville Board meeting.

I sent in two request for two of the best boaters in our

District # 2. Some call them "Old Dogs" but they are legends

in our hobby in my opinion. Jerry Betke and John Beardslee

two good friends of mine, that have taught me more about model

boating and life in general. I could not believe someone did not

nominate them sooner, but I think some of us forget the real roots

of the beginning of model boating. Both of these guys have helped

more boaters over the years than anyone else I know. I recently had

conversations with both of them, and we together could not think of all

of the things that they have contributed to the hobby over the years.

But it was sure special two weeks ago when both Jerry and John were

in the winners circle at our 50th Mini Gold Cup Race. In fact, Jerry Betke

was at the very first Mini Gold Cup and John followed three years later.

About 98 years of model boating experience just in two of our best legends

in our hobby. Hopefully most of the Board members will know who they are

and I could not have nominated two better candidates.

Jeff,

Thanks for bringing up this thread, so I could remember to nominate two

very special friends with just unbelievable families that have supported

Model Boating for over a half of century.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back