klotz oil

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Ashcroft

Is there a Viscosity different between the kl100 and kl200?

Or are they both same synthetic? And klotz ,just named one kl100 because of the castor blend.

Thanks.

According to the Klotz Catalog, KL-100 is a blend of the original synthetic oil and 20% BeNol racing castor.

Kl-200 is the original synthetic oil without anything else blended in.

I've been using Klotz KL-100 for more than 30 years.

Al Hobbs

Yes i know The kl200 is synthetic only.

So the KL 100 is just KL200 pre mixed with castor then.. are they the same synthetic..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok i can assume The 100 and 200 are the same synthetic just the KL100 is a premix convienience saves mixing your own castor..

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Klotz Super Techniplate in my Quickdraws and haven't had any librication problems at all.
Super Techniplate is 80% synthetic and 20% castor. That is what I use too. I just looked at the Klotz website and didn't see 100 and 200 listed. I guess I could have missed it or the 100 has been replaced by the super techniplate

Bill Hoch

I use Klotz Super Techniplate in my Quickdraws and haven't had any librication problems at all.
Super Techniplate is 80% synthetic and 20% castor. That is what I use too. I just looked at the Klotz website and didn't see 100 and 200 listed. I guess I could have missed it or the 100 has been replaced by the super techniplate

Bill Hoch
bill,the super t/p is kl-100,mike.

KL-100 quart

KL-101 gallon

Same as the Super Techniplate. Just be careful you don't get fooled. Usually the orange and yellow label is the 80/20 mix and says it clearly on the container. Too many customers have been sold the standard by some places before and had to tell them to take it back. A lot of times you can fine people on Ebay selling it in like 1 gallon container for 45.00 including shipping. I know some customers have told me they order one gallon and than when it shows up there is a discount coupon in the box and order another one.

Todd

Quickdraw

Klotz has cut back on the information they used to have on their website. They no longer list KL 200 techniplate (pure synthetic) but you can probably get it if you phone in an order. Klotz used to have the technical specs on their website which provided all the good information on their products.

Super Techniplate has about 900cp viscosity as I remember with the 20% Castor. KL 100 Quarts, KL 101 Gallons, KL 103 Pints.

I have played with mixing the pure synthetics Techniplate with Heliglo (KL189) which has a viscosity of 400 cp or half that of Techniplate. I added Benol at 20%. The mix ends up with a lighter oil which is good for our cold water in Alberta. They offer a Techniplate Light (KL 198) which is a similar mix but wtihout the Castor. Without the tech specs, I can't confirm this.

At one time I used to use UCON LB 625 which is the same base as Klotz model oil but without the "Klotz colour and scent. It has a viscosity of 625cp hence the name. You can get UCON all the way up to 1600cp and down to the 200 range. Mixing Techniplate and Heliglo 50/50 got me down to the range of the LB625. I added Castor at 20% for lean run protection. The only issue with LB625 was it came in a 45 gallon barrel. It took me 4 years to work through it.

Doug i found these specs.. 1=bad 10=good

KL198:

Smoke rating:is 7

Clean Burn: 10

Film Strength: 10

Pour Point: -29°F

Flash Point: 420°F

Maximum RPM: Unlimited

Viscosity @ 100°c: 10.90 cSt Typical

Product Color: Red

And KL200

Smoke Rating:is 10