New to the rc boat world. Have questions.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benhayward

So my grandfather passed away and I got 2 rc nitro boats. They look to be mostly there but I'm not fully sure what they are or what I need besides a receiver. Not sure if it's something I want to dive into yet but I would like to at least learn about them. I was told that one is probably a plane engine that is an inboard and the other one has a k&b 7.5. I have the starter for them. Just not sure what they are or where to go. Here are some pictures. They aren't the best I can get some better ones.

b2b3d61b2de785ce31a1219d73683833.jpg

25f1ed7230d3ddc401e93bb9ec0ee75e.jpg

8f4eb4e09cafebeb64c358c758877d10.jpg

The white one has newer servos and stuff. The purple one looks pretty old. Not sure if I should hold onto them or sell them yet. Right now I'm on a fact finding mission.

Some of the stuff on them looks newer tho. The out board and servos are no where near 30 years old. The purple one looks more outdated as far as electronics go.

Ben, Where are you located? Might be some one that lives close enough to meet up with you and give you a hand.

You might get more responses if you have the admins move this to the "General" forum. Many of the people that come in here only run gas powered boats, not boats with nitro motors

About the only things you have there worth hanging on to is the 7.5 K$B and the servos in that boat if they work they will be ok for throttle servos?? The Outboard Mono looks like an old Prather boat??It could be a Sport boat? I had a batch of boats that I couldn't sell because everybody hates me!! So I donated them to a Youth Activity Group and they have been using them as training tools to get kids into something other than being Stupid!!

Get yourself a affordable 40/7.5 Tunnel and go have a ball with that outboard because they haven't changed much in the past twenty years as far as K&B go that I can tell??

Later!!

Pat

Steve p I'm in the bay area and in the middle of moving up past sacramento.

I'd have no problem with an administrator moving this to the general forum. Wasn't really sure where I should put this.

Ben, I am in Indiana and do not know anyone in that area, hopefully some one will chime in.

The outboard mono would be your best bet to get running. If has been setting a long time it may need bearings.

If you are just looking to play (not race) I would not put much money into them. For around $350 or so you can buy an Aquacraft Miss Vegas.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWFH3**&P=0

other options http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0297p?C=BA

There are other sites, besides tower, to buy I just had them bookmarked.

good lucky and have fun

Thanks. I think I'm also looking for advice on electronics. I think the white one has good servos but I don't know what to do for a remote and such. Do these boats have adjustable trim or is it just steering and throttle?

There are lots of options on radios (remotes) you can spend several hundred on a Futaba or Airtronics (check tower on prices and models) or you and get cheaper lesser know brand radios. I have used Flysky radios for several years with out issue. http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-fsgt2b-2ch-car.html. there are a lot of strong opinions on radios and I agree Futaba are the best it just depends on you budget. A lot of the radios can be used with more than one boat by buying extra recievers.

If the servos have the old style connectors you will have to see if you can find adapters to the newer style connetors. other wise they are good.

I think a few have tried to do an adjustable trim I have not seen it done. I think it would be more trouble than its worth.

Ok good to know. I'll see eif I can find a radio to run both boats. As far as fuel goes are there good and bad brands and things to watch for?

Another good question would be if you were to look at buying a used boat what would you be looking for and what would you be worried about?

For fuel, if you order anything from Tower they sell Grimracers fuel I know it is good. If you have a local hobby shop see what they have, just make sure it has at least 18% oil. 30 to 50% nitro, the guys that really want to go fast run as much as 70%. I do not think that much is necessary, I run 50% most of the time.

I have not used it but I hear Technology Hobbies fuel is good. http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-fsgt2b-2ch-car.html ( they have a lot of other things you will need to get started, There are others, check the manufacturers forum.

As far as used, check the for sale section on here most members of this forum are interested in helping people get started some will even give you a really good to get you going.

I would aviod e-bay, to many just tring to get too much for junk.

Also if you do not have any be sure to get a couple extra glow plugs. Do you have a starter? Glow plug igniter?

I don't have a glow plug igniter but I have one of the electric motor starters. I need to get a new rubber cone for it tho.

Back