Nitro Rigger hulls used for FE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raydee

I am looking for a good size nitro Rigger that I can convert over to electric. I think the current Riggers that were designed for FE are basically way too small for the brushless motors and lipo cells that we are running. I was looking at the FF hulls but was told that they might not be the best to convert. I was also told to try Dumas Hawk hulls, the 7.5 would be the perfect size to try but I am not sure if my cells will fit or not. Since its a kit I am sure I can make it water tight and get everything working but should I even try? Is there a better hull out there in the 35" or 36" range?

I am looking for a good size nitro Rigger that I can convert over to electric. I think the current Riggers that were designed for FE are basically way too small for the brushless motors and lipo cells that we are running. I was looking at the FF hulls but was told that they might not be the best to convert. I was also told to try Dumas Hawk hulls, the 7.5 would be the perfect size to try but I am not sure if my cells will fit or not. Since its a kit I am sure I can make it water tight and get everything working but should I even try? Is there a better hull out there in the 35" or 36" range?

hi there raydee, contact ozzy2 on this board,, he builds taipan riggers for nitro and gas,, i have seen a elctric version of a rigger that he built that was very quick indeed,, paul has had alot of expierience in rigger bulding and i can say his quality of boats are excellent,, hope this helps , jason jury,, his riggers are run world wide,,

Raydee,
There is a video on youtube of an electric Taipan (I think) or Wideboy rigger running. Take a look. If you can take some more videos of your Matrix so we can see.

Tom W
Yeah that Taipan rigger is owned by a guy that I have been in contact with helping me with my current rigger. He seems like he really knows his riggers. I am going to look into that boat for my next rigger project. I have also been looking at the Hornet Hydro's.....never heard of them BUT I never heard of the Taipan riggers either.

Last edited by a moderator:
raydee,

I was at the Internats this past weekend and saw the 90 hydros run 68.6 mph off the corners, 75.2mid straight, so about low 80's?. Mid 11 sec range lapping boats. The most popular rigger seems to be the Crapshooter.

Make sure the tub is wide enough for lipos, most looked a little narrow and shallow to boot.

raydee,I was at the Internats this past weekend and saw the 90 hydros run 68.6 mph off the corners, 75.2mid straight, so about low 80's?. Mid 11 sec range lapping boats. The most popular rigger seems to be the Crapshooter.

Make sure the tub is wide enough for lipos, most looked a little narrow and shallow to boot.

"The most popular rigger seems to be the Crapshooter."

That applies only to the Midwest. Which of course is where the IMPBA Internats are being held.

I would recommend going straight to the guys who run electric riggers.

They know exactly what's needed.

We have built few custom electric riggers, but we only have limited time for electric projects.

raydee,I was at the Internats this past weekend and saw the 90 hydros run 68.6 mph off the corners, 75.2mid straight, so about low 80's?. Mid 11 sec range lapping boats. The most popular rigger seems to be the Crapshooter.

That applies only to the Midwest. Which of course is where the IMPBA Internats are being held.

We have built few custom electric riggers, but we only have limited time for electric projects.
Andy that seems to be the problem with FE riggers. The Nitro guys don't want invest the time building FE riggers maybe because they don't see a future in FE or because they just like nitro and don't want to bother with FE. So far there aren't many options for us guys that want a rigger that is over 25" in tub length so that is why I am looking into using a Nitro boat. Most of the nitro hulls are too narrow to fit the Lipo's packs up front enough to be able to move them around for cg BUT there are a few guys building custom riggers that I have found. I think Electric is really coming on strong and even some of the nitro guys are impressed with the speed of the FE boats. I don't think it will be real long before the "Big Guns" have a nice Sport 45 FE rigger readily available.....at least I hope.

Andy that seems to be the problem with FE riggers. The Nitro guys don't want invest the time building FE riggers maybe because they don't see a future in FE or because they just like nitro and don't want to bother with FE. So far there aren't many options for us guys that want a rigger that is over 25" in tub length so that is why I am looking into using a Nitro boat. Most of the nitro hulls are too narrow to fit the Lipo's packs up front enough to be able to move them around for cg BUT there are a few guys building custom riggers that I have found. I think Electric is really coming on strong and even some of the nitro guys are impressed with the speed of the FE boats. I don't think it will be real long before the "Big Guns" have a nice Sport 45 FE rigger readily available.....at least I hope.
Yes, FE is coming on strong. We are just finishing two big SGX hulls for FE. They are a variation of our 90 nitro hull which is 42" long.

We are setting up one of the hulls complete, ready to paint. I will take pics of it and post them. I don't know the exact details about the motor, speed control and packs, except that it is all big and looks very expensive.

I don't know the exact details about the motor, speed control and packs, except that it is all big and looks very expensive.

LOL...@ Andy. That was my thoughts when I decided to take the plunge and build a Brushless FE Tunnel. Where the hell does the glow plug go???

~James

Yes, FE is coming on strong. We are just finishing two big SGX hulls for FE. They are a variation of our 90 nitro hull which is 42" long.

We are setting up one of the hulls complete, ready to paint. I will take pics of it and post them. I don't know the exact details about the motor, speed control and packs, except that it is all big and looks very expensive.

Yeah a 42" FE rigger is a bit past my budget ;) I think 36" and 6s is about the limit for me.

Andy , is the boat your building going to be for sale (production) or has someone special ordered one ??

Andy , is the boat your building going to be for sale (production) or has someone special ordered one ??
Andy,

Both boats were ordered and are custom built to fit the power plants.

I won't say who they are going to, because some guys like to keep their projects secret until they show up at the lake.

But, I will say that one is going to a well known electic boat and motor supplier. He said the motor going in this hull will punch out 9 horsepower.

Back