Zenoah Clone 26cc CY

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

keithej

I have 2 cats with CY clone engines in them. I ran them both with a friend. Because the engines were new. I started with the high set at 1 1/2 & the low at 1 1/2... & I richened up the high end 1/4 of a turn every time I ran. To help with brake in..I must have turned out the H needle a full extra turn. & the speed never dropped off or did I see more smoke. So I turned it in a 1/4 turn & left them both there. I thought this was very strange that I could not get this engine to run very rich. Then a month later we went out to try them again. I mixed up fresh gas with 7oz of Klotz oil. I got them both running but only a lap & they would die. I tried leaning them up but nothing worked. I have ran Zenoah engines many times. & never had a problem. These clones don't have a walbro carb. & the spark seems weaker then a zen. Is there problems with reliability with these engines? Could it be the methanol in my pump gas? Thanks for any advise with these engines.
default_smile.png

What carb are you running? A friend in my club has a CY 26 with a wt 257 carb and it runs great. Needles set a 2 on the low and 1 on the high.

if they r 2 bolts…..sorry…..trash em

everybody (including myself) messed with em years back. they r faster out the box (as is every engine not a zenoah) but that 2 bolt thing jus doesnt hold the cylinders true for long. ends up being no fun.

and yes the ethanol can b a problem

Thanks Guys, Scott, they have the stock China carb that comes on them. This brand of carb is used on many china small engines. I bought a stock Zen 644 to try & rule the carb out. I have always ran stock carbs on my zenoahs because I like having the choke. The 257 is faster however. Max speed is nice, but at this point in my life I really enjoy reliability as well. lol. Bermudadude, Thankfully they are 4 bolt heads. My friend tried one of the 2 bolt ones, Just kept blowing the head gasket. & before I switch carbs, maybe I should try the colman fuel thing? is anyone even running the stock carb on the CY? & what needle settings are they running? l 1 1/4 H 1 /3/8 ?
default_smile.png
TY

What does the plug look like,tan good and white lean,black rich,may have had trash in fuel that clogged carb screen,this may be needle change made no difference!

I've had exactly this kind of problem on several gas engines and it always seems to come down to two issues, ethanol or a screen full of trash. Fuel filters have solved a lot of that. Also on many of these carbs if the low end is too lean the high end will be too. On our aero engines the instructions (yeah we read them now and again) say to set the low end first.

Rick H.

I've had 2 CY/Sikk motors. Yes, they do have their little issues but with the 2-bolt heads they won't take a dunking. The will break off at the bolt holes but it's better than a Zenoah that will ruin a crank or connecting rod when they hydraulic.A Chung-Yan/Sikk is not a clone of anything anymore than any other engine on the market now. A lot of them have interchangable parts.

If you're running pump gas then you have to watch to see if it had ethanol in it or not. Ethanol will ruin carb diaphragms quickly. Pull off the cover and see if it's wrinkled, that's a sure sign of ethanol damage. That's one of the many reasons why I switched over to campstove fuel.

I run all of my gas carbs at 2 out on the low-speed and 1 out on the high-speed needle.

By the way, running too big of a prop can also make them stall in the middle of a lake. Been there.

Latest posts

Back