New Paint Scheme for Aeromarine Titan

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Aeromarine Titan has been a faithful competitor but after a few years of bang up battles it's time for a new a skin. In this post I will go through the steps of sand stripping, sanding, priming and painting the new scheme of my Titan.

Below are the past two paint scheme this boat has had.

TitanBoat.jpg

Here is the other.
The proublem with fancy custom paint job's is. If you race these boat ? be expected to get damaged during races.. I would not sudjest doing at at to a race boat, if you do have fun rematching it back up,if your the painter and owner of the boat is good.. but not for the non painter. I'd away believe keep it simple stupied.lol. the first boat you post if more fancyer trible/razor back flames.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've known Roger and his Dad for a few decades. I've raced against Roger Jr. since he was a young teenager. His boats look good. His father's boats look good.

I will have to get him to do a few boats for me just so that I can use them to advertise the A/A engines.

You are right, I wouldn't want to race them in a club event and get them messed up.

Al Hobbs

I would have to agree that that type of paint job is not for the faint of heart,but like you said Al Rogger jr has been painting his boats like that since he graduated from desinging school..But his driving skills also helps to keep his boats looking good too.LOL.I too have known the Hooks's for over 29 years ,and his paint jobs are second to none...

I've known Roger and his Dad for a few decades. I've raced against Roger Jr. since he was a young teenager. His boats look good. His father's boats look good.

I will have to get him to do a few boats for me just so that I can use them to advertise the A/A engines.

You are right, I wouldn't want to race them in a club event and get them messed up.

Al Hobbs
We all a have our own philosophies a and that is fine. To each his own. I just think that a boat or any competition item can at least start out with a nice scheme. And you don

T have to be as extravagant as I am. Later I will do some schemes using only one two colors and some decals. You can even fine some demolition cars where a guy bothered to throw down a few racing stripes with a rattle can. Besides if we would think like that from beginning to end we would never put our boats on the water at all because it might get hurt and we donwt want to damage the nice gel coat, wood finish or carbon pattern. But even a skateboard starts out with a killer pattern and where do they put that? On the bottom. The place that will most certainly be thrashed the most. Like I said. Sot each his own. I just tend to error on the side of these words.... "because image is everything". Those who know me know the history behind that. :)

Al Hobbs
By the way Al promoting the AA engines is exactly where this next paint scheme is headed.

Al Hobbs
By the way Al promoting the AA engines is exactly where this next paint scheme is headed.
I stuck to simple paint scheams on my boats plus come up with paint theams on them too.,but those have won me shows too. but these easy to retouch up to if it needs it..

Al Hobbs
I stuck to simple paint scheams on my boats plus come up with paint theams on them too.,but those have won me shows too. but these easy to retouch up to if it needs it..
Great! Ive never entered my paint jobs for boats in any shows. It would be great if you could show us and do your own How to page so we can all learn some other great ways that you have to help boaters in the hobby aspect of boating. tom asked me to contribute but I know there are so many great and talented painters and hobbyist on IW thought they would be plenty of content but after so many weeks seeing very little I didnt want to continue leaving him hanging. So I am sure he would love to have your experiences posted here as well.

:)

While it's true you don't need anything fancy to race- the custom painted boats are eye catchers- people come over and ask about them and the hobby. A lot of the guys in our club have their boats custom painted by professionals and take pride in their appearance. We took 7 boats to the rc show in Ogden over the winter- all car and plane people except for our two tables. The boats were "eye catchers' we probably had a couple hundred people stop and ask about them and boat racing and passed out over 75 of our boat club flyers. If it attracts new people to the hobby(we did get some new club members) you're doing something positive for the hobby and helping it grow.

Glenn

Al Hobbs
Great! Ive never entered my paint jobs for boats in any shows. It would be great if you could show us and do your own How to page so we can all learn some other great ways that you have to help boaters in the hobby aspect of boating. tom asked me to contribute but I know there are so many great and talented painters and hobbyist on IW thought they would be plenty of content but after so many weeks seeing very little I didnt want to continue leaving him hanging. So I am sure he would love to have your experiences posted here ad well.

:)
Roger Me and Joe been helping alot on RCU on painting questions since 06 and some here. My Joe been been in autobody&paint work for 28+ years. He used just about every paint system that on the market. We do love your custom paint work. Joe would love to do true flames. Ya that a good idea on getting more ideas from people.. I'll try to start a page tonight and post our boats.

BTW...

:) I don't paint my boats just for all show and no go. This particular boat in this post has it's fair share of race rash. :lol: With 2 Regional Championships, 3 National Championships, 1 National Championships Fast Time and Two National Records... on this one hull alone... I paint them so you know when the show is about to begin. :lol:

Okay back to the paint scheme.

Here is an example of the type of wear and tear on the boat. I will sand all the paint off the boat with 180 grit sandpaper. Then fill with featheredge filler.

bottom.jpg

Here is the boat after sanding with 180 grit sandpaper. Sanding from start to finish. From one picture was about 1 1/2 hours. This is hand sanding. However if you have a hand sander (I have also used but not in this case a DA Air tool Sander) this would have made sanding even faster. A good Air tool Sander cost about $150.00 and needs about a 25 Gallon air compressor to keep up with the air supply.

IMG_20110423_105937.jpg

AeroMarineTitan.jpg

I wanted to fill in the overhanging lip where the hull is joined for more streamlined look. There might be some concern about extra weight being added to the boat hull but the way this boat runs it could use a little more weight. If you've seen it run you would understand. I spread featheredge filler to do that.

FeatheredgeFiller.jpg

Primered boat here that was primered with high build feather edge primer. The high build (think and non-shrinking properties) of this primer allows for easy filling of heavy scratches caused by 80 gril sand paper. But of course the rougher sand paper makes for faster sanding to remove old paint. You can also an up close on how I filled the lip where the boat is joined together.

primered.jpg

sideview.jpg

Also wanted to modify the look and streamline the aerodynamics of the hull by switching out and fitting a cowling from an ebay special mono that hasn't worked out so far. Here you can see the original cowl and the new one.

cowling.jpg

boatcowling.jpg

Back