A Very Nice, Simple, Inexpensive Head Volume Measurement Tool

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Doane

Supporting Member
Fellow Boaters:

The attached photos are of a great little tool that I received today from Kevin Visconti. I was so impressed to see this simple tool that everyone can use, that I had to post it here. This tool will measure head volumes, in .01 cc resolution, for a button from a .12 in3 engine to the largest gas engine being used today. In particular, I like the way the plunger design extracts all the liquid from the syringe for more accurate, repeatable measurements. All you need is some clay, plumbers putty, or Vaseline to seal the head to the device.

I will have several of these with me at Hobart and Charleston if anyone is interested. I am sorry that I do not have a price for these yet. I believe they will be very reasonable and will post it soon.

Thanks......Rick

100_0748.JPG

100_0749.JPG

100_0752.JPG

100_0753.JPG

Looks like a great idea Rick. It looks like it could eliminate the problem with liquids having surface tension.

Thank you Jim. I believe we could start another topic on just what liquid to use for the measurement!

I just recieved confirmation that these tools will be available for $11.00 each shipped, and you can have special engraving with you name or something simple for $12.00 each. Contact Kevin directly for more information.

Great product, similar to what I've used for years!

ScanImage002.jpg

ScanImage006.jpg

I like alcohol...

Good information here. I use a .01 cc pipet & isopropal alcohol. Surface tension can be effected by the surface that is being wetted. Supposedly, very low surface tension behavior can be found with penetrating oils such as liquid wrench.

Jim Allen

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice action shot Terry. I use methyl alcohol. Jim, are you saying the use of a liquid such as liquid wrench may be a better option? If so, would there be any measurable difference in the volume or does it just allow the liquid to go into spaces that may otherwise contain micro air bubbles?

Nice action shot Terry. I use methyl alcohol. Jim, are you saying the use of a liquid such as liquid wrench may be a better option? If so, would there be any measurable difference in the volume or does it just allow the liquid to go into spaces that may otherwise contain micro air bubbles?
Without looking up their specific gravities or densities, (same number in the metric system) I think there would be a difference in the volume because the two liquids probably have different densities. I guess it doesn't matter as long as the same liquid is used.

Jim

What about the glow plug cavity? That seams to be the hardest part to fill for me . I use the needle part to stick right in the plug.

David, no issues with that as of yet. Once this is sealed to the button air can escape out the breather hole and the volume that is injected is what is measured. Curious though do you measure with the element in or out? We had some discussion at the lake the weekend and the jury was mixed.

Back