1/8 scale set up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to FE and I am wondering if anyone can post a photo of your 1/8 scale set up including wiring, motor and battery placement. Planning to convert and retrofit a RC Boat company SG 118 hull (Kellogs) that currently is set up as a nitro boat.

I plan to run 10s with a 1527 850kv Neu motor, 8mm bullet connectors and heavy gauge wire. Haven't selected the ESC yet.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Joe Flynn

See the Propwash article Electrifying Adventures in Scale for my conversion of an old wood nitro scale boat into an electric 1/8 scale. The boat still holds the NAMBA scale and T sport hydro 2 lap records. Since then I applied what I learned to a new boat. Here we enclosed all the electric equipment in a sealed box. Pictures are below. The boat is a little battered after the Northwest Scale race.

Lohring Miller

20151212_092924.jpg 20151212_093123.jpg 20151212_093225.jpg

Last edited:
HEY LOHRING--Steve Muck and I are setting up FE 1/8th scales. We got HET 700 series Typhoon motors and Alien 300 escs from Bill Brant. What motor mount is that you used in the round nose? I'm checking on Lipos from Revolectrics ( 5000mah, 4S 60C in series) Bill says Atomik Bias 65C 4S packs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm an old retired pediatric dentist that is really enjoying RC boats again. Just finished a JAE 21 FE and have Kris Flynn's M11 Dragon Also having fun with a German 1/5.2 scale Switzercraft Baby Bullet. My 1/8 scale is a Muck scale of the 87 Miss Bud. Props? Thanks Ray Hamby

I built the motor mount. Offshore Electrics should have one that's similar. They are my favorite electric parts supplier. At this point I can't give any good battery recommendations. My last Hyperions are dead and I'm looking for advice myself. I've been running an Octura 1655 2 blade with added cup on 8S with the Neu 1527 1.5Y motor and a Castle 200 amp controller with an added water jacket that I also built. That pulls around 120 amps for heat racing. A bigger prop could be used for records. Brian Buaas laid up the really superior epoxy glass hull for the $ Bill.

Lohring Miller

I place the batteries in the front-as far forward as possible, mount the scu on top of the motor and build a cover to seal it all using radio box tape. I think most guys do it the same way.

006.JPG

007.JPG

001.JPG

Back