Rudder Distance From Transom And Strut...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldlugs

Hey gang, thanks for putting up with my questions...!

So far this great forum has taught me about offsetting the driveline slightly to the right of centerline to help deal with chine walk and leaning from torque. I've also learned I can angle the rudder slightly so it doesn't lift the transom so much while turning...

One thing I'm still wondering about, is how to determine optimal distance of the rudder from the strut, and how that affects turning, and most importantly, how rudder distance from transom (in relation to prop distance from transom) affects turning. Can the rudder be positioned too far back? I could see where, if the rudder is too close to the transom, it should turn quicker, but lack leverage to do so...(?) Wouldn't it always be best to place the rudder behind the prop hub (not directly inline with, but aside of) ? Are there circumstances when the rudder would work better ahead of the prop (still aside of it though)?

Thanks again!

Duane

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey gang, thanks for putting up with my questions...! So far this great forum has taught me about offsetting the driveline slightly to the right of centerline to help deal with chine walk and leaning from torque. I've also learned I can angle the rudder slightly so it doesn't lift the transom so much while turning...

One thing I'm still wondering about, is how to determine optimal distance of the rudder from the strut, and how that affects turning, and most importantly, how rudder distance from transom (in relation to prop distance from transom) affects turning. Can the rudder be positioned too far back? I could see where, if the rudder is too close to the transom, it should turn quicker, but lack leverage to do so...(?) Wouldn't it always be best to place the rudder behind the prop hub (not directly inline with, but aside of) ? Are there circumstances when the rudder would work better ahead of the prop (still aside of it though)?

Thanks again!

Duane,

John Finch has some great articles related to monos discussing the strut, rudder, and

turn fins on monos,I looked , but can't seem to find them, maybe someone on here knows?

OK; I was convinced tha my rudder bracket wasn't long enough on this boat that I picked up second hand. Maybe I misunderstood, but I've thought that the rudder leading edge should not be ahead of the prop... After checking the Speedmaster site, I see that they recommend a rudder that extends to 3.5" behind the transom on a 40 size mono... This one was 1.25" shy of that, so I made a temporary extension to try out, and maybe later on, I'll buy the correct Speedmaster rudder mount. Carbon fiber is fun to play with! Easy to cut, drill, tap threads into, it's stiff and super light. We'll see if it holds up for a few runs here...

extension1.jpg

extension2.jpg

Back