Lexan Cowlings

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmaturo

So PTI is offering lexan cowlings on their tunnels. I think it is a great idea (especially coming over from the car side of RC) Has anyone used one and if so what are your thoughts?

I have the lexan cowl on the PX-300 and NX-300. As one would expect, very light weight. Plus, paint from the inside, as you would a car/truck body. Do believe Mike Z was the first to use lexan for cowls on the Power Surge Nemesis.

Hi Mark,

I really like the idea of Lexan and if Mike came up with the idea, he is truly a visionary. The bodies are easy to produce through vacuforming and can be massed produced. It also helps lower the CG by being lighter in weight. I would love to know exactly how much lighter one actually is.....also has anyone ever played with the idea of making an a hull out of Lexan?

.also has anyone ever played with the idea of making an a hull out of Lexan?
If you go to the PTI website, look at the bottom "Current News".. Paul has a lexan mono....

The lexan is 7oz while the fg for the nx-320 is 10oz. This includes the magnets that are used to mount the cowl to the hull..

Last edited by a moderator:
Does high nitro affect the lexan cowls? Also does the lexan spray paint you see at the hobby shop hold up to high nitro?

Does high nitro affect the lexan cowls? Also does the lexan spray paint you see at the hobby shop hold up to high nitro?
I'm running BAM 65% and the cowls were painted with lexan paint from the LHS. Lexan and paint are holding up fine. No issues at all.

yep.. been some years tho..
Grim, what cowling is that? Great lines.
Ron, that is the Nemesis, the mod .21 boat from Power Surge. Never offered by Aquacraft after the purchase of Mike's company. The interesting fact about that cowl is it covered the whole center section top. Wasn't just a "cowl".

Got a link to lexan cowl? Mark im setting up my px300 and in need of instructions......What holes did you drill in transom cg etc

and buds we are

Hope you are well dude!

Grim

Internats 2004 (67).jpg

Mike Sorry

Worked late yesterday.

We turn the OS motor mount around . the bottom edge motor mount is even with the bottom of the tunnel.

I've got pictures of the transom and the prop height

I'll make sure to get them to you tonight

Also not sure if your radio is install, but we put the servo forward ESC in the back and the battery in the center

Again I'll send picture tonight

SORRY for the delay

Got a link to lexan cowl? Mark im setting up my px300 and in need of instructions......What holes did you drill in transom cg etc
My setup is as Paul stated. Don't think there is a pic of the lexan cowl on the PTI site. No weight was added. Moving the batt around will give a different cg. Test and make adjustments as needed. Emailed you the instructions for the PX-300 build and the cowl..

and buds we are

Hope you are well dude!

Grim
I'm doing well. Thx. Hope you and the family are doing the same.

Man, glad I've lost weight since then! More to lose, but dang....

Mike

I can't seem to get a good picture of the lexan cowl (because its clear) but its virtually the same as the fiberglass one

Here is one on a boat. Also one other note, I made a couple of test Lexan Cowls for Anthony_Marquart's (he was here on IW) rigger, he seemed very happy with them

PX300 pic2.jpg

Attached are a couple of pages of the instructions that show the motor mount changes

PX300 pg 33.pdf

Here are a couple of the set up. I use an M445, Mark has had better luck with and ABC prop

IMG_0242.JPG IMG_0241.JPG

One last thought, I'm not clear if this is a newer kit or one of Mike's... But if the stumble blocks are triangular, may I suggest switching to the new shaped stumble blocks. I'd be glad to send you a set at No Charge

Jeff

Here is a link to the P-LTD Lexan Mono running if you are interested. Please note not sure it's setup right, it was just to prove the concept.

That boat has been run many times and has been pounded on a table to demonstrate the strength of the lexan without shattering or cracking

It was designed as an entry level product. We have some production problems to solve, then we'll put it on the market

Thanks

Attachments

• PX300 pg 33.pdf
    324 KB · Views: 279
Jeff

Here is a link to the P-LTD Lexan Mono running if you are interested. Please note not sure it's setup right, it was just to prove the concept.

That boat has been run many times and has been pounded on a table to demonstrate the strength of the lexan without shattering or cracking

It was designed as an entry level product. We have some production problems to solve, then we'll put it on the market

Paul,

​Thank you for the video, it was great! Way to innovate, I look forward to being able to purchase one. Jeff

Thanks Paul pm me and I will get you information to send blocks,id also like to buy a lexan cowl

What do you want to do with that lexan cowl?
default_dry.png

This is a px300 i just picked up from here . As a person allergic to rubber i love this no radio box seals . But aside of that i think its a awsome way of doing the steering servo.

20171111_164952.jpg

20171111_165000.jpg

20171111_164946.jpg

Latest posts

Back