How rare is a hughey.20 rigger?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

David

Anyone ever built and raced one of these record breaking hulls from the 70's?

used to know a guy that had one. if you hit a buoy the foam sponsons would break easily. he was always epoxying them back together

I raced one for several years with an OPS side exhaust. Simple, straightforward to build and set up. It needed some throttle control to turn well but competed well with everything else running back then.

Al Hobbs

My Dad and I raced them for years, biggest drawback was they were heavy as hell. ran well in rough water, they were very competitive until lighter boats became available.

My father was an IMPBA racer in the 70's. We had taken a break from boats for nearly twenty years. I was thinking about building the hughey with an ops for him just to play around with. I bought a JAE and couldn't believe how much lighter todays boats are made.

Last edited:
I started racing D Hydro riggers in the early 1980's in District 4 (IMPBA). There were several of the Hughey riggers racing in the area at that time. When compared to the newer Pinkert Coyotes, and Vipers, and others, the Hughey just could not keep up at all. Even in rough water. They had a slower speed in both the straights and the turns, in rough, medium or smooth water.

I guess it depends on how fast you want to go. If you were used to running a Hughey, ...then a JAE rigger might be a handful(?). Not sure, as I've not run a JAE yet.

Thank you all for the input. I have decided to build the Hughey for my father. He was diagnosed with Parkinsons in 2012, since he can no longer compete,this tub should be perfect.

David the "rules" police are going to jump on you if you don"t have your full name in your signature line. Just a heads up.

I had a 45 back then with a ST G45 engine. I liked the boat, but it was no match for the outriggers that were starting to appear. We were still running 1/4 wave open exhaust stacks or exhaust throttles back then. No tuned pipes yet. Here are some pics. Sorry they are so blurry

img260.jpg

img259.jpg

I had a 45 back then with a ST G45 engine. I liked the boat, but it was no match for the outriggers that were starting to appear. We were still running 1/4 wave open exhaust stacks or exhaust throttles back then. No tuned pipes yet. Here are some pics. Sorry they are so blurry
Nice boat. My dad raced a dragonfly 40 with a torpedo .40. Still have some NIB ST G46's.
Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

You got me going now! Here is a pic of my Dragonfly 40. (or maybe it was a 65?)
My dad will like that, we haven't been able to find any old pictures and he ran the boat through a bandsaw when it started de-laminating.
Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Hey Steve,

This makes me feel really old...but here goes. I actually had a single channel vacuum tube transmitter radio in a Dumas Thriftway Two(?) with a rubber band escapement on the rudder. I think it had an .049 motor. That was around 1958-60. No pics as I am not sure film had been invented yet
default_smile.png

Bob, you're really dating yourself with that one! LOL

Steve

Hey Steve,

This makes me feel really old...but here goes. I actually had a single channel vacuum tube transmitter radio in a Dumas Thriftway Two(?) with a rubber band escapement on the rudder. I think it had an .049 motor. That was around 1958-60. No pics as I am not sure film had been invented yet
default_smile.png

Think Bruce Jacobs has a 21

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I have one that's built and a couple new in the box kits
Did you build the boat,per the plans,or make any changes? I'm not looking to win any races with it, just a sport boat for my Dad.
It runs as good as its going to with an upgrade from k & b to the newer motors, it's just heavy. If you were building it from new, you could hollow out some of the foam and cut a lot of holes in the center section of the 3 ply tub, but as built not much can b done. Upgrading the hardware will help also.

Back