Nitro Fuel Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Costanzo

was wondering how to raise the nitro and oil content. i run 55% byron's with 12% for my .45 motors and 55% with 16% in my bigger motors. would like to run 60% in all motors.can some tell me the formula to add more nitro and oil to get where i need to be.thanks,mike.

For one gallon of 55% nitro with 16% oil fuel you'll need to add 24 oz of nitro and 5 oz of oil to get 60% nitro 16% oil and you'll end up with 1.23 gallons.

I made an excel spread sheet and put in different values of the nitro and oil to get the results

Last edited by a moderator:
For one gallon of 55% nitro with 16% oil fuel you'll need to add 24 oz of nitro and 5 oz of oil to get 60% nitro 16% oil and you'll end up with 1.23 gallons.

I made an excel spread sheet and put in different values of the nitro and oil to get the results
OK,so what i am going to need is a large clean pail to mix all the oil and fuel up and filter it back into the 1 gal jugs. would you be willing to share or show the spreed sheet you made? thanks.

The easiest thing would be to make 2 premixed gallons into 3 by adding nitro, methanol, and oil. Multiply 128 by your percentages of the premixed gallon to get your totals. Then multiply 384( which is the total ounces of 3 gallons) by your desired final percentages. Add the difference and you should be all set. Wear proper PPE when dealing with raw nitro because it burns clear and can burn your lungs.

on the 3 gallon break down, am i starting with the 2 gals of fuel that is already 55/16?? and then how much oil,meth,and nitro goes in?

i also have a bunch of 55/-12% what am i doing with this?? sorry in all the 35+ years of modeling have never mixed my own fuel. i like my drag racing car better...straight alky in the tank... PS,i have hauled HAZMAT on and off for over 25+ years and yes,nitro is very bad!!

OK I just did the math and if you added 89.6 ounces of nitro, 17.92 ounces of methanol, and 20.48 ounces of oil it would bring the 2 gallons to 3 gallons of 60% nitro with 16% oil.

I can email you the spreadsheet if you're interested. You can change the percentage of nitro and oil and it will figure out the percentage of methanol in the fuel you start with, then you add oz's of nitro and oil and it will figure out final percentages of the fuel

Oil mite be better at 18% instead of 16. Oil helps engines live longer!!

Brad
i have been running the 55/16 byron's for many years and never a single problem. i know a lot of guy's running the cmb 101 like to use a lot 22% oil.not sure what the difference is between the 101 RS's and the .91 VAC"S,but have a **** ton of fuel thru 2 of my .91 VAC"S and all is well. yes oil is good for motors but the more oil in the fuel,the more oil to burn=less power. a good friend of mine is Stan at S&W fuels and i have had many conversations with him about oil %.depending on what company lube package you use you can vary it.i have used as low as 12% in my .45's and no problem's but i would like to just start using one nitro/oil deal and be done with it.

I can email you the spreadsheet if you're interested. You can change the percentage of nitro and oil and it will figure out the percentage of methanol in the fuel you start with, then you add oz's of nitro and oil and it will figure out final percentages of the fuel
hi paul,that would be great. my e-mail addy is: [email protected]

thank you very much,mike.

Mike,

I sent the spreadsheet. Let me know if you have any questions, it's pretty straight forward. You enter your nitro and oil percentages on the left highlighted cells and it will figure out the methanol qty and percentage. Then you add nitro or oil on the right highlighted cells and it gives you final percentages of nitro and oil and the volume of fuel based on how many oz's of nitro or oil you add.

fuel percentage.JPG

Latest posts

Back