Amount of rudder throw on outboard ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggerman

Hi all just finished re-building my Dunlap W.O.F 30 for P-spec with O.S lower unit and Hitec HS-5646WP digital servo I have about 45 degrees of servo throw in both directions. Is this too much steering or not enough ? What amount of steering throw do most outboard racers use ? Regards Andris Golts.

With a guess, I'd say maybe around 10-15 in race conditions. Still may need to have more during slow maneuvers. Using a 4PK, each boat has it's own limit, all are under 50% travel.. All also have the servo speed turned down.

I like to limit mine to.. if I turn on buoy one.. and go half way between 2 and 3.. I am just about right.

The idea is to have just enough PLUS a bit extra to get around the course BUT not too much or you will upset the boat.

Also.. I like to slow down my servos...or use slow servos on a tunnel.I am not talking super slow but the old .22sec per 60deg seems just about right for a tunnel boat.

Grim

I like to limit mine to.. if I turn on buoy one.. and go half way between 2 and 3.. I am just about right.

The idea is to have just enough PLUS a bit extra to get around the course BUT not too much or you will upset the boat.

Also.. I like to slow down my servos...or use slow servos on a tunnel.I am not talking super slow but the old .22sec per 60deg seems just about right for a tunnel boat.

Grim

What do you like to use in terms of torque?

you can not have to much..

300 even on a 21 boat is not a bad thing.. I use a MIN of 200 in all instances...

EVEN more important is DIGITAL.. YOU WANT to have as much centering power and resolution as you can get.

Grim

Don't limit the travel electronically. Do it with proper linkage geometry. If you do it in the transmitter you loose resolution. Make the servo arm shorter to cut the travel down.

you can not have to much..

300 even on a 21 boat is not a bad thing.. I use a MIN of 200 in all instances...

EVEN more important is DIGITAL.. YOU WANT to have as much centering power and resolution as you can get.

Grim

Good to know thanks Grim!

Don't limit the travel electronically. Do it with proper linkage geometry. If you do it in the transmitter you loose resolution. Make the servo arm shorter to cut the travel down.
+1 or the engines wider.

If your turning your epa down much below 80% you should be looking at making linkage changes as you are loosing your torque in mechanical losses. The servo needs to rotate most of the way or it isn't delivering the torque it could be.

Digital is mandatory for best drivability and to just generally track straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
When using a pull-pull cable system, there is no option to move the cable inward. Using the small wheel. I've yet to have a problem with my .21 sized boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tricky part and we just kind of put up with it is.. the distance between the two arms (Servo and Motor) Should! be the same.... but.. we just kind of blow past that.. IF.. you had a single push rod.. no issue..

With the power and systems we have today I dont mind playing around with smaller tiller arms or lower reductions in the TX.. remember the callouts for the servo is X power and speed at a set distance.

Grim

Back