Help Support IntlWaters by donating using the link above.
Photo

who makes cowls?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Speed Jr.

Speed Jr.

National Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:32 PM

I will also take a CF one. That's exactly what I'm looking for Bert. PM me the details....

#17 Michael Costanzo

Michael Costanzo

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

Sure they are wet laid,  not vacuum bagged, and require a little work but for $24 it sure looks good on my boat.

mike,could you please tell me what the measurement  from the nose of hull to the center of the glow plug is? thanks,mike.

#18 Shane William Bastick

Shane William Bastick

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:37 PM

Hi Bert,

I would take a carbon fibre cowl as well

Shane

#19 Bradley Ward

Bradley Ward

Beginner Boater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:21 AM

In need of cowls for my JAE 45 and JRX 91. I just got a Zippkits cowl in today for my 45 and it is embarrassing to say the least. So whose got the hookup? Anyone make clear CF cowls?

Larry Jr.

Im with you on the embarrassing part! Mine had bugs! And what looked like cigarette ash embedded in it was absolutely crap!!

#20 darryl whitman

darryl whitman

Beginner Boater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

well , I need to agree, The cowl I just got is not good craftsmen ship , 1 to 5 its a 2 I just got my order in the mail to build 45 GT booms an cowl.

there are spots in it no glass just resin an its twisted.  sorry Zippkit Im just telling it like it is...

#21 Joe Petro

Joe Petro

Boater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:45 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I do appreciate it, good or bad.

For the record, we only use imported bugs and the highest quality ashes in our products... :P

Darryl, I think what you are seeing are small areas in the inside of the cowls where there is a little more resin.
When cloth is saturated, it is invisible.

The cowl can't be made without cloth. .025 thick resin would be easily punctured with your finger. We use 2 layers of 8 ounce cloth on the 45 cowl.

I understand that this is not a $140 vacuum infused, carbon/Kevlar layup. That's not what we do.

This cowl is made for our $79 kit.

We would put our $24 fiberglass cowling up against any other.

Joe

#22 mark ham

mark ham

Boater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:54 AM

I have no issues with Joe's cowl's, he offers product at a good price, unlike most, and generally has it in stock unlike waiting 4-5 weeks or longer. I never seen a carbon cowl make a boat any faster, just more expensive. Just saying...

#23 Bradley Ward

Bradley Ward

Beginner Boater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:28 AM

Shows a good man to reply Joe so i appreciate that!! There has never ever been any complaints about the boats the hardware or your service! 10 out of 10 in my book! Always has been least you send to Australia! Thanks again for the winning products

#24 nitroracer

nitroracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:25 PM

I make my cowls in carbon or e-glass.

Brad

Hi Brad

Do you make cowls in glass for the new Kep 45

Ed

#25 timwhalen

timwhalen

Beginner Boater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I do appreciate it, good or bad.

For the record, we only use imported bugs and the highest quality ashes in our products... :P

Darryl, I think what you are seeing are small areas in the inside of the cowls where there is a little more resin.
When cloth is saturated, it is invisible.

The cowl can't be made without cloth. .025 thick resin would be easily punctured with your finger. We use 2 layers of 8 ounce cloth on the 45 cowl.

I understand that this is not a $140 vacuum infused, carbon/Kevlar layup. That's not what we do.

This cowl is made for our $79 kit.

We would put our $24 fiberglass cowling up against any other.

Joe

Joe- your service and products are great for our hobby, and I surely appreciated your phone time regarding the turn fin matter.

As far as your cowl 'ingredients', well, see attachment...

Thanks again, for everything.

Regards-

Tim

Attached Files

#26 Wayne Johnstone

Wayne Johnstone

Club Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:25 PM

Are the cowls mentioned in this thread suitable for dd motors? Is there clearance above the carb?

#27 Tom Foley

Tom Foley

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:34 AM

I also make cowls but I have very little time to do it and sometimes my primary business and family takes over so I'll say up front that I can't get them done quickly . I still have Roger hooks Sr.'s cowl in the mold from a long time ago ! Sorry Roger ! Send me your address please .

#28 JRXHydros

JRXHydros

Boater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:27 AM

Are the cowls mentioned in this thread suitable for dd motors? Is there clearance above the carb?

I have use Zippkits 45 cowl with NR 46 DD & it works,but a little tight for stock carb at the top & carb linkage is tight also..may need to reshape carb control arm. My driver tested the rigger with the cowl & ran great. Oh & the cowl is cool looking & I didn't run it stock,I trimmed the back end off some for a better look on my outrigger.

Edited by JRXHydros, 28 October 2017 - 09:31 AM.

#29 brad nichols

brad nichols

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted Today, 04:26 PM

Sorry I missed your post Ed. Yes I make cowls for the KEP's 45 and 2 different ones for the 21 ( one front and one rear exhaust style ) I make them in glass cloth and epoxy not gel coat polyester and mat. Makes it a lot lighter and stronger. Cowls are reinforced at the front and rear. Greg Wannamker mite have his all fitted up on his T2 that I built for him but I am not sure what motor he was going to run? Maybe he will send a picture Here is a picture of the 45 E-glass cowl I made, most all cowls are swappable if made longer and wider so they can be trimmed to fit.$45 for E-glass plus shipping,

Brad

Attached Files

#30 brad nichols

brad nichols

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted Today, 04:28 PM

Paul your cowls are on their way.

Brad