How quiet are Parabolic pipes?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim van Schyndel

My new model boat club has some strict noise restrictions.

A standard nitro pipe (small volume CMB 67/80 pipe) and stinger is too noisy on the 67 rigger.

The alternative pipe options I am looking at is the CMB AB.67 Quiet Pipe or an AA .67 Parabolic pipe.

Any suggestions or advice on the above comparison?

If a parabolic pipe will not do the job, can I run the stinger on the Parabolic pipe (the double cone addition to the pipe is what I refer to as a stinger)?

Again, thanks in advance for the advice!

IMG_0886.JPG

Hi Tim,

Our solution in Japan is as in the pic.
default_smile.png

Toru

add-on silencer.jpg

Toru,

Does the Carbon Fiber tube have anything inside like a baffle or something to quiet it down?

Ronnie

Hi Charles,

The silencer is designed by neither Scott nor myself. They are produced and sold by a model boat parts supplier names TRK in Japan.

Prices in Japan are:

for 21: JPY5,500 (ca. US$44, aluminum), JPY6,800 (ca. US$55, carbon)

for 45: JPY6,500 (ca. US$52, aluminum), JPY8,500 (ca. US$68, carbon)

for 90: JPY9,500 (ca. US$76, aluminum), N/A (carbon)

At the moment, silencers for 90 (67~101) seem out of stock.

Toru

Hi Mark,

Yes, there are some websites of model boat parts supplier selling the silencers at discount prices, but unfortunately, everyone is in Japanese.

Maybe, Marty (Hammerhead) will help? Please???
default_smile.png

Toru

Tim parobolic pipes are pretty good for noise reduction but like any pond anywhere you go if noise is a ishue you will probably need to find another venue to race . We had a similar problem and after years of trying to comply with nabors sound ordnance's city buetification we lost our lake that had been dedicated to the club sense the early 70s.

Good luck Charles

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Charles and everyone

The lake is safe but the club has set the noise limit to ensure that remains the case. It is set at 85 dba at 10 meters.

I think I'll grab a CMB quiet pipe.

Cheers

Back