Help Support IntlWaters by donating using the link above.
Photo

Fun with Tunnels

Lets see em

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#196 Jerry Dunlap

Jerry Dunlap

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

Hard to believe, but I actually found a couple of photos of my very first tunnel boat.   The year was probably 1977. It was designed by Dave Knowlen, an engineer at Boeing.   Dave also designed limited hydroplanes and I think he designed the canard Circus Circus(from the model canard concepts of Ed Fisher) and then the conventional Circus Circus.  The boat was built from plywood and it seems like it was 30" long.  

Thanks to J.R. Caines for converting the photos to a digital format.  That's my son, Paul, holding the boat.   Paul is now 46 and probably 5 at the time of the photo.

JD

Attached Files

#197 RonShaw

RonShaw

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:31 PM

Great pics JD. The days of the exhaust throttle.

#198 Grimracer

Grimracer

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,333 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:23 AM

VERY COOL!

#199 Davidrichmond

Davidrichmond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:54 PM

This is a great thread,glad I found it in time. My first tunnel was a MRP Mach1 that I built in 1990.I still run it today,its actually the boat in my profile photo,still like new. Also have a dumas hotshot and a prather lapcat2. We have many Aquacraft boats, so I foresee a VS1 in the near future to replace the MRP.I should put it on a shelf before it starts to crack.

#200 the german

the german

Beginner Boater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:34 PM

Back in 1990 i had both MRP tunnel hulls ,the 21 and 45.Sold them both around 1995 back in Germany. I kept the MRP Python canard and it's still sitting on my shelf.

Love to see all the old pics in this thread.

By the way ..... a big Thank you to Jerry Dunlap ...... he influenced the tunnel scene back in the days in Germany with his designs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex

#201 Jerry Dunlap

Jerry Dunlap

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:46 PM

Following the wood Excaliber, a fiberglass version was produced by Vic Drew from Medford, Oregon.

The boat on the trailer belonged to Tim Harvey from the Vancouver, B.C. area and the 180 was mine.  I don't remember who owned the other boat.

JD

Attached Files

#202 Shane William Bastick

Shane William Bastick

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:40 AM

Following the wood Excaliber, a fiberglass version was produced by Vic Drew from Medford, Oregon.

The boat on the trailer belonged to Tim Harvey from the Vancouver, B.C. area and the 180 was mine.  I don't remember who owned the other boat.

JD

great boats Jerry, 

you have done a lot for our hobby of model power boats, I still love your older Hot Shot Sprint tunnels, that Dumas produced in the 90's, what a great thread this is

Shane