Help Support IntlWaters by donating using the link above.
Photo

Stain

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Sametz

Ray Sametz

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:39 PM

Want to stain bottom of wood boat and paint top, then shoot KlassKote clear. What's the best stain to use, thinking stay away from oil base? B)

#2 moparbarn

moparbarn

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:54 PM

From what I've learned (the hard way), use sanding sealer over the stain before clear, RRRay. All I got was huge fish eyes without using the sanding sealer first. Haven't tried KlassKote, but both epoxy for sealing & automotive 2 part urethane clear will go over lacquer based sanding sealer. Plus, with the sanding sealer you can sand before clearing without affecting the stain (-; Been a while, but I believe I used a latex based stain.

Edited by moparbarn, 31 July 2016 - 04:58 PM.

#3 Daniel Richard

Daniel Richard

Beginner Boater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:58 AM

I have stained and painted two boats, this being one of them. I just used regular Minwax, let it sit for a couple days then epoxied over it like the rest of the boat to seal it. Then laid down automotive clear over the epoxy.

Attached Files

#4 Ray Sametz

Ray Sametz

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:37 PM

If I remember correct, I used Minwax on the Hobart tribute boat. Then Don F shot the clear coat. Thanks guys. B)

Attached Files

#5 Rudy Formanek

Rudy Formanek

Boater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:41 PM

There are wood stains that are alcohol based, if you know where to look.   http://www.woodcraft...-technique.aspx

After using alcohol based dye stain, spray a couple of coats of clear urethane, sanding between coats. Dye stains are more difficult to use, they are not wipe on, wipe off.

Using oil based stains is a recipe for a peal-off finish!