carbon fiber, carbon fiber/foam core material wing set

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Cathey

Supporting Member
IMG_0281.JPGIMG_0282.JPGIMG_0283.JPGIMG_0284.JPGIMG_0286.JPGIMG_0285.JPG

Note that the horizontal wing is loaded with 36.75 lbs. of steel with zero deflection by a ruler. I fully expected to break it but decided that it already exceeds specs (and I didn't have anymore steel blocks)
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Terry. The core material is 1/8" Divynilcell foam with a layer of 6 0z. plain weave on both sides bagged/cured. Two pieces of that glued together, shaped and wrapped in a single layer of 6 oz. twill bagged/cured. All with West resin and 206 hardner. I have a 7.5 cfm heavy duty oil less rotary pump ($130 used on ebay) and I use the ACP bags/clips. It pulls it right down to 29" of vacuum.

Nice work!
default_smile.png

Looks like 6oz twill? How many layers? What epoxy did you use? What pump do you have?
Easy now Terry. Don't get too excited. Lol.
lol!

Thanks Terry. The core material is 1/8" Divynilcell foam with a layer of 6 0z. plain weave on both sides bagged/cured. Two pieces of that glued together, shaped and wrapped in a single layer of 6 oz. twill bagged/cured. All with West resin and 206 hardner. I have a 7.5 cfm heavy duty oil less rotary pump ($130 used on ebay) and I use the ACP bags/clips. It pulls it right down to 29" of vacuum.

Nice work!

If you want to save even more weight (and have just as strong parts), try some bagging specific resin (MGS, Pro Set etc.) Weigh the cloth and only use and equal weight of resin, I think you'll be amazed at the results.
default_smile.png

CST has them both, but you might find a better price elsewhere:

http://www.cstsales.com/pro-set_epoxy.html

http://www.cstsales.com/mgs_epoxy_ss107.html

I've uses MGS for years but it needs a post cure (I just use space heaters). The Pro set might be OK at room temp but check the specs.

The advantage with them is the low viscosity wets the cloth out much better allowing for less resin, also a much longer working time.

You got a Gast pump?

It is a Gast. I also use a little 1.5 cfm single diaphram Gast for making small parts. I decided one time to make some cf pockets for the oval fuel tanks and used the big pump. It was looking pretty good and I came back 10 minutes later and it had flattened the tanks! I opened the regulator all the way and it was still squishing them so I ended up pulling the reg out and that backed the vacuum off enough to make the part. I incorporate a ball valve now. That works well so the vacuum can be quickly released while you are dinking around with the bag. The nice thing about having a high voluume pump is that it overcomes any small leaks but you have to be a little selective on what parts you are making. Sure works good for laying up core material or cf plate.

When I made these parts I got a little generous with the epoxy and the excess all squeezed out but it sure makes it a workout to get the release/breather cloth off. The best thing I have used for parting are the cheapo plastic putty knifes and the West Systems stir sticks.

Back