Help with DP Cowl on a JAE 21G2

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayP

I am at the finishing stages with my JAE 21G2 build and I just received my cowl from David Preusse. I am new to cowls on riggers ( I like the old-school look with the engine out in the open but I want this boat to be cleaner aerodynamically) so I am not quite sure exactly how they should mount. I trimmed the excess plastic off, and I understand gluing a lip on the front, but what do you use to hold the back down (latches, magnets) Also, is the cowl supposed to rest inside the hull opening, or sit on top along the front, sides, and back? I am sure I need a bit more trimming, but I am stopping until I see how it is supposed to mount. Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

JayP

Zippkits sell cowl mounts and magnets are good too, It is up to you how you want to mount it. You can trim it to tub size and mount on top and use the O ring type on either side or magnets in the back, or trim it to fit down flush with the deck. You can look at what others have done and make a choice. You can always change it or on the next build try something different until you find what you like.

Brad

We typically would trim them to fit inside the tub and use a Bob Violet bomb latch in the back. Worked well and was simple.

show pictures of my Sold Jae 21 last 3 yrs ago use Cowl from DP
default_wink.png
Simple cut trim on front top tub for tank reason take off and put rear screw "pin" and horn servo plastic holder Cowl won't fell off "
default_cool.png

Thank you all for the responses and thanks Allan for the pics. Just curious, has anyone tested the performance gain with a cowl versus no cowl and open engine compartment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the responses and thanks Allan for the pics. Just curious, has anyone tested the performance gain with a cowl versus no cowl and open engine compartment?
You need to consider not just the aerodynamic gains but the benefit of controlling the air flow to the carb and keeping water spray out of the carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, Paul. That is the main reason I am using one on this build. I was just curious about aerodynamic performance gain.

Jay,

You may be surprised when you test your boat with a cowl

or without one? Let us know how it all works out for you?

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Back