Tape Adhesive Sticks to Klass Kote

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBonahoom

I had been using PPG Concept single stage car paint for many years but decided to try Klass Kote Epoxy instead. I like the Klass Kote, but now find that every time I pull the radio box tape off, the tape's adhesive sticks to the paint. This never happened with the car paint. Getting the adhesive goo off is a real pain. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to prevent this?

(I have learned that WD-40 takes the adhesive off better than Goo-gone, but it is still a nuisance and a lot of trouble).

I am using the 3M stuff in the pic. I got it from either Zipp or possibly from Don Ferrette at the internats.

Tape.JPG

I had been using PPG Concept single stage car paint for many years but decided to try Klass Kote Epoxy instead. I like the Klass Kote, but now find that every time I pull the radio box tape off, the tape's adhesive sticks to the paint. This never happened with the car paint. Getting the adhesive goo off is a real pain. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to prevent this?

(I have learned that WD-40 takes the adhesive off better than Goo-gone, but it is still a nuisance and a lot of trouble).
Bob we had that problem years ago when the Detroit club started using tape. Jerry Betke came up with the answer, he used Simonize automotive past wax. Jerry put thin coat on after the paint had dried completely. I use an old can of turtle paste wax. If I had to buy new Id look for the most basic wax I could find. Just a light coat and rub it off as much as possible.Thanks John

Definitely wax or polish everytime before taping the lid down. Also if you peel the tape at an angle and keep it almost folded back on itself it helps.

I've had the problem recently Klass Kote paint or any epoxy based paint. It seems like it depends on the color that I tape down to as it is not consistent on everything that I sprayed with Klass Kote.

Dad's good old Johnson Paste Wax cure does the trick and the tape will leave nothing behind.

I've had the problem recently Klass Kote paint or any epoxy based paint. It seems like it depends on the color that I tape down to as it is not consistent on everything that I sprayed with Klass Kote.

Dad's good old Johnson Paste Wax cure does the trick and the tape will leave nothing behind.
I think letting the klass kote cure properly also plays a part in this as well. When Ive sprayed in the summer months and been able to place the painted parts in the loft above my garage-read as a make shift auto clave 140F for 4 or 5 days the difference is noticeable on the tape residue issue.

Thanks John

I take a rag with a little bit of wd40 and wipe the area first

The tape still sticks fine and no residue is left

Mike

Back