Primer Paint for Fiberglass/carbon hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Rappold

Supporting Member
I am just about to begin finish work on a fiberglass/carbon hull. The hull will be eventually be color painted and cleared. What is a good primer to use on the fiberglass/carbon before the paint?

On wood hulls I have used PPG DPLF40 epoxy primer. I was planning on using this again but wanted to check if there is anything better out there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike

Don't cover up all that awesome work you did!!
default_smile.png

I am just about to begin finish work on a fiberglass/carbon hull. The hull will be eventually be color painted and cleared. What is a good primer to use on the fiberglass/carbon before the paint?

On wood hulls I have used PPG DPLF40 epoxy primer. I was planning on using this again but wanted to check if there is anything better out there.

Mike
Mike the DP primer will work fine on fiberglass just be sure to prep, scuff and clean the surface well. The PPG DP series primers rock, I use the DP48LF white epoxy primer on all my paint work.
default_smile.png

Mike
Mike the DP primer will work fine on fiberglass just be sure to prep, scuff and clean the surface well. The PPG DP series primers rock, I use the DP48LF white epoxy primer on all my paint work.
default_smile.png

Don,

I have been sealing wood with Z-Poxy finishing resin, then I paint with PPG Concept. Can you use this primer as a filler on bare wood?

Back