Twin 67/80 Mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Run with it or hide from it ????

Who has done one besides Crowther ? Feel free to share as well Jerry ...........

Pro-s / cons ?? besides the obvious :rolleyes:

I have a 47 Gas Hull that I really wanna make nitro instead- maybe ;)

The question becomes do I hate myself enogh to take on a long term twin 67 maybe 80 mono with it,

Or just admit the fact I may run a gas mono, OR

A single Big Block :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well being the dirt poor retiree that I am, I'd have to make do with one motor. I sold my X-Mono before it even hit the water- The class was DOA when I moved back to CA. The left coast guys like the Suicidal mod gas motors. I sold the Joe Warren modified 91 Vac to a friend in Utah who uses it in a X-Hydro . He called a few weeks ago and told me this motor is a BEAST. So there are my two picks and .02 Cents

Glenn

Several people have done it. And won a lot with them. But a good single is faster. But in heat racing the weight of a twin is a bonus. Plus the challenge of making one right and running it when it is is awesome. It's really something only you can know you want to mess with. Twin VAC 91s would be amazing. But a lot of money to do right.

Andy the amount of time and money you have to run a boat and race it I would stick with the gas option.

I have bin hearing good things about the new Tiger King gas eng.

Then again if you really hate your self? :D

Dave, its a project that would have zero rush involved- the kicker will be the coin for the motors- other than that :rolleyes:

If I decided twin nitro , what way to go on the drives- surface or subsurface ?? and what will be the determining factors involved in that decision ? and is the rotation left the same ? What factors will determine spacing ?

Andy

actually the twin was owned by someone else (circa 1988), I believe part of "Team Fat". It was one of the first twin mono's I had ever witnessed. Ran very well, fast.

I'm not sure about the origin's of the engine-mount, but it was custom machined.

Youngblood mono's were very popular at that particular moment in time. I ran two myself, a 45 & 67 size.

I would probably just go with a new Seaducer- 40 or 60/80 or 90/100 size, and use a single engine. You'll have enough speed and excitement in your life (for the price)

actually the twin was owned by someone else (circa 1988), I believe part of "Team Fat". It was one of the first twin mono's I had ever witnessed. Ran very well, fast.

I'm not sure about the origin's of the engine-mount, but it was custom machined.

Youngblood mono's were very popular at that particular moment in time. I ran two myself, a 45 & 67 size.

I would probably just go with a new Seaducer- 40 or 60/80 or 90/100 size, and use a single engine. You'll have enough speed and excitement in your life (for the price)
I have done the single X-Mono 44 boat already a couple times- Was really wanting to go with a tad longer hull at 47 - besides the Lynx is just gathering dust. ;)

I have done the single X-Mono 44 boat already a couple times- Was really wanting to go with a tad longer hull at 47 - besides the Lynx is just gathering dust. ;)

Have Lamar Huff build you a Big Block gasser

Have Lamar Huff build you a Big Block gasser
I'm just not a big fan of the class Rrrick , guess I need to drive one- but yeah -_-

Anyone have pics of Jerry's twin?
Here ya Go Tyler -

10pvigx.jpg

Jerry build a short rail in the center of the hull to provide a mounting point for the inboard side of the engines- not sure if he laid the boat up with it or added it- Jerry ?

Anyway, my thought was just to fab a single flat mount with a bridge or rail built right on the center line for the same result and use rubber isolators .

Andy

i have a pretty good idea how its done as i suggested this particular idea as a comeback for an atlanta race years ago. to this day havent seen or heard of an attempt till this post. nice!

i dont want to mention the hull used ,the guy, or the hull/s and guy he lapped (twice) when it worked cause idont wanna start no fights.

first ,ill say this- for some reason .80's dont work. long story but the engines either work or the boat does...2 diff people tried with 2 diff hulls each and same result.

u need a DEEP V

the mounts must not share a common rubber in the middle (they shouldnt on riggers either but...)

the props as close as possible (allow for 70mm max) put about 5mm between the blades (again should b the same on rigger but....)

the rudder goes on the RIGHT (again....)

the stuffing tubes go outside but when u sit the boat on a table it should sit on the tubes and the keel (during testing u start pushing the right strut down

u have to know how to set a jet because the boat WILL drive itself and drive u absolutely crazy!

1 guy used tabs but said it didnt help because they wer soo far out/up the transom they barely contacted the water,,,,adjust ride with struts -> like a rigger

when its set right it WILL be faster than some riggers-->those people will hate you :lol:

dont be afraid to set the CG to about 40%

i witnessed/helped with this about 10 years ago and the guy in question used some old gold head cmb .90's he dug out of an old box. if u use "up to date" engines maybe you will have more problems (??) lol but honestly the engines where WELL modified,he considered doin it again with stock engines but lost the enthusiasm for the mono class

to keep things light and "tight" i would say contact andy brown for his twin mount setup ,if u cant work it out, and build the engine/mount/rail system on the bench then glass it in....very compact

the boat did lap the field with stock x467's but what got me excited about it was the x470's

but the real kicker is that the acceleration is mind boggling ! just ridiculous instant max speed

you get more than you would normaly out of the prop because its directly in the water stream not shielded by the keel/transom

the aforementioned guys used a 45" hull but i believe that then and now a 50" would have been better.....or stock engines

other folks will have other ideas/opinions but im passing this info on cause i witnessed it and because the guy wont be doing the mono thing again,,whatever u do i want to see the results cause i like to see people do diff stuff and not everyone using the same hull/motor/prop combo

so good luck

Jerry build a short rail in the center of the hull to provide a mounting point for the inboard side of the engines- not sure if he laid the boat up with it or added it- Jerry ?

Anyway, my thought was just to fab a single flat mount with a bridge or rail built right on the center line for the same result and use rubber isolators .

Andy
yep, you should be able to implement similiar configuration as found on the newer twinn outriggers

Back