Futaba 4PX

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Santistevan

I got my new Futaba 4PX a couple of days ago and so far I am pretty impressed with this radio. It is beautiful and it is going to take a while to get through all the features. I was very surprised to find out that this radio ships dry and does NOT include a charger. This is a little disappointing for a $550 radio.

david

let me know how you like that radio i am probably gonna get that this winter.

also. does it have a charge port? or you need to pull the battery out?

thanks for the info

chris wood

Chris,

So far the radio is a quantum leap in radio technology. It does have a charging port and a USB interface port and a micro SD card slot for model memory and backup. I also love the "bump" switch on the back which I have programed to start a timer. The radio feels good and balanced in your hand. They do support optional LIFE batteries and the list the batteries they support. I have not quite mastered the direct access menu to be able to change models quickly but I just need to a little more reading. Some of the other features I like is the ability to set the forward/brake trigger at more than 50/50 or 70/30. The receivers are cheap for this however it is compatible with just about all Futaba 2.4 protocols.

I wish the display was touch screen, that would have been awesome but alas we are still chained to a few but UI. I can hardly wait to try out the telemetry, temp is my big thing for nitro.

D

Got mine last week as well. I've only played with it some, and did some customization. Like David, I set the "belly button" to be a lap-timer. I also use the "thumb button" (my terminology) behind the wheel to stop/clear the timer. Works great. I use the button on the grip to get the lady to speak the Rx voltage (or other telemetry stuff as I get sensors). Very cool functions, indeed.

David, you can go into the direct menu by pressing the "dir" button. It's the second button above the rocker. It doesn't allow you full access to all menus, but the most common ones. Model select is one of them.

I also use a LiFe battery in mine. I haven't yet seen how long it'll last on a charge, but I suspect it'll be more than adequate.

-Joey

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you have the radio configured to use digital servos (as you likely should), don't plug in and try to use analog servos...they tend to release this weird, white cloudy looking stuff...and then the servo will jerk around in an uncontrolled manner
default_blink.png

Then you get to buy a new servo
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
good to know.

i will be curious on the telemetry like RPM and the temp.. that will be interesting.. i wonder if you can save the data to the SD card then view it on the computer

Chris,

According to the manual that is exactly what you can do. It specifically calls out the folders it creates and what files are stored in them.

D

Saving the telemetry data to SD card at the transmitter? Oh I really like the sound of that. Thats perfect for boats.

Was considering upgrading my 4pk to this radio as well...really like the telemetry features it offers, RPM, engine temp, and the lap timer feature all would be very useful.

Please report back to us with your findings and how you like the telemetry aspects of the radio.

Thanks for sharing,

Elias

sweet

think i know the route i am gonna go.

man i thought testing was ruff before LOL!! oh boy

The base prototype 3pk's had real time telemetry for rpm and temp but there was extreme latency from what I was told. The BUS system was under way for there aircraft radios and they were trying to use that for the telemetry. Nomadio's had just blasted on the scene and Futaba wanted to wait to perfect it a bit better and to see how those radios did and responded.

Looks like you have to register each sensor with the TX, then install, If I read that right. They pimped the display screen, looks really nice and updated as the 3PK was/is.

Lesse,,a box of stick radios, another box of Mag Juniors, a couple 3PJ's, I skipped the pot adjust PCM1024 radio and waited for the 3PK. I guess it's time to update the museum once again, lol.

Back