91 cmb vac bearings

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbarile

I'm sure there has been a thread about the rear main bearing problem. Will ceramic help any or will it cause more damage when the balls break up, or hopefully stay together longer. Anyway what can I expect? Rich B thanks.
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe a number of guys experimented with ceramic bearings for some time never really solving the problem, pretty much everyone settled into the routine of bearing replacement every 12-15 heats, nature of the beast.

Full complement ceramics set to the right radial clearance are the ticket.

The bearing is the same size as the .67/.80 and it can not handle the load.

More balls in the bearing increases the load carrying capability of this size bearing.

That or just change them after every 2 gals of fuel run threw the eng.

Dunno what all the fuss is about the bearings on this motor, I've got over 50 runs on one motor and 40 on another with no problems.

I did however find out the hard way big motors don't like to run lean...
default_huh.png

yes thy do need a slug ......................lots of bearing failure's are directly related to imbalance of the rotating assembly.

I use the set up that Scott Bouchie explained to me.

I made a setup with two razor blades attached to a machined aluminum block. the blades are just CA attached to the block.

I set the block on a flat surface so the blades are level with each other when you attach them.

The make sure the surface you put this setup on is level.

The crank will roll on this setup and find the heavy spot pointing down.

Now I take all the rotating parts crank , wrist pin , clips , rod and rod bearings and weigh them on a gunpowder scale.

This is the bob weight. now take 52% of this weight ( Greg Settel turned me on to this) and make a small brass piece that fits on the crank pin.

To find out how much it is off I CA a small screw on the bottom side of the crank as it sits in the setup jig with the bob weight on it.

Then start to add thing to the screw till the crank rolls even and dose not stop at the same place.

Now remove the screw and all the pieces you added to get it balanced.

Weigh this and that is how much you need to add to the crank.

Figuring what to remove and add is a pain......you need to calculate how much weight is removed when you drill the hole for the slug of tungsten.

Then how much the tungsten weights.

Volume of a cylinder works for the amount you take out with the drill and add with the slug and the weights by volume are posted in a few places.

McMaster Carr sells the tungsten and has the weight show for volume.

Drill the hole using a 2 flute carbide drill slow and dry then press the slug in. just don't get to close to the edge or the crank will crack.....ask me how I know......LOL

About .001/.002 press fit will work I have found.

Not to hard just takes time to get it all figured out............ or just send it to Scott he has it down to a system...........

DSCN3109.JPG

DSCN3110.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

I made a setup with two razor blades attached to a machined aluminum block. the blades are just CA attached to the block.

I set the block on a flat surface so the blades are level with each other when you attach them.

Now I take all the rotating parts crank , wrist pin , clips , rod and rod bearings and weigh them on a gunpowder scale.

This is the bob weight. now take 52% of this weight ( Greg Settel turned me on to this) and make a small brass piece that fits on the crank pin.

To find out how much it is off I CA a small screw on the bottom side of the crank as it sits in the setup jig with the bob weight on it.

Then start to add thing to the screw till the crank rolls even and dose not stop at the same place.

Figuring what to remove and add is a pain......you need to calculate how much weight is removed when you drill the hole for the slug of tungsten.

Volume of a cylinder works for the amount you take out with the drill and add with the slug and the weights by volume are posted in a few places.

Drill the hole using a 2 flute carbide drill slow and dry then press the slug in. just don't get to close to the edge or the crank will crack.....ask me how I know......LOL

Not to hard just takes time to get it all figured out............ or just send it to Scott he has it down to a system...........
David, where do you think that Scott got his information???????

Three guesses and the first two do not count.....

Try Jack O'Donnell. He was just messing with your head
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

He has forgotten more than most people will ever know on our toy motors.

One other thing, when you attach your screw, or whatever you fasten your bob weight to on the crankshaft counterbalance, if it is not in the SAME EXACT POSITION as where the tungsten weight will be going, your entire process will be off. I learned from the master.

Charles

Exact? Don't know I must be special because it balanced fine on all the ones I have done..............

As far as messing with me well if that is the case more power to you all...................

default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

One other thing, when you attach your screw, or whatever you fasten your bob weight to on the crankshaft counterbalance, if it is not in the SAME EXACT POSITION as where the tungsten weight will be going, your entire process will be off. I learned from the master.

Charles

Does the 52% magic number apply to all sizes 21, 45, 67 etc.

Cheers

Tim

default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

Charles

Cheers

Tim
Yes

default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

Charles

Cheers

Tim
Yes
Many years ago when we first began to try to smooth out some of our engines, we were using from about 45% to about 60% numbers. Those numbers were finally refined down to about 48% to 56 %. Later most people just split the difference and settled on the 52 % number.

Since you cannot balance a one cylinder engine vertically and horizonally at the same time with the same the same formula. The entire procedure is a compromise.

Back