My new Picklefork Thunderboat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, unless local rules allow it, it's not NAMBA legal. Here's the rules right out of the NAMBA rulebook:

1. CLASSIC THUNDERBOAT

a. Hull Specifications

i) The boat may be of wood or fiberglass construction.

ii) The hull length will be between 48” – 56”.

iii) The hull width will be a minimum of 24”.

iv) The transom will be a minimum of 10” in width.

v) The hull design will only be one of the following types: round nose, step deck, or chisel nose.

It is probably legal in IMPBA, as shown in the rules posted below:

G. Classic Thunderboat

1. Hull Specifications

a. Boats may be wood or fiberglass/composite type construction.

b. Length shall be a maximum of 56 inches, minimum of 47 inches. Width shall be a minimum of 22 inches.

c. All boats shall have a front or rear cockpit with driver figures from the 1950s - 1970s era, no cartoon or animal characters.

d. All boats shall have a period correct paint scheme and sponsor name & logo. The Sponsor and/or logo may be original or of your own choice.

e. Normal hull configuration shall be conventional round nose, shovel nose, dropped sponson or pickle fork design. The pickle fork shall not exceed 10% of the hull length and be modeled after a classic era boat (1950s-1970s era).

f. No rear sponson, ride shoe or other riding surface allowed aft of the sponson transom. Engine belly pans are allowed. Engine belly pans may not extend beyond the engine compartment.

g. Nothing may extend more than 5 1/4 inches beyond the transom.

h. The strut mounting is optional. Maximum strut length of 3 1/2 inches in length and 1/2 inch in width.

i. A minimum 50% of the gasoline engine must be covered with either a cowling or period correct fake engine. This does not include header and/or tuned pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing personal intended, but this is an ML Thunderboat Pickle Fork show and tell thread. Not a NAMBA rules thread. In the Midwest we are all IMPBA and most of us have no desire to travel to a NAMBA event. And I believe we clearly know the Hull is not NAMBA legal and quite frankly do not care.

Doug

Nothing personal taken. I was just answering Steve's question, no more or less.

When I saw Keith's sig had an IMPBA number listed, I knew this was a non-issue and wish him the best with his new boat.

Its all good Mark. Got out of electric and went gas because of a bunch of anal rule mongers. Praying it doesn't happen with gas.

Doug

Nothing personal intended, but this is an ML Thunderboat Pickle Fork show and tell thread. Not a NAMBA rules thread. In the Midwest we are all IMPBA and most of us have no desire to travel to a NAMBA event. And I believe we clearly know the Hull is not NAMBA legal and quite frankly do not care.

Doug
Can I get an amen!?!?

AAAAAAAAAAAA MMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNN Great job Keith, sense I seen that hull in Chads basement. Boy !! that was a quick build, enjoy it. Happy Racing

HAHAHA have not been on here in a few days. Guess I should have been checking on the thread. I had the boat out this weekend and found a few flaws in my setup. Got a bushing stuck in the strut. That wont happen again. I did not get the run time I would have liked.

Going to try again this weekend.

Hi Keith, are you talking April 29th Sat. at the Badger Pond, cause I'll be testing the new CC Racing "Venom" Gas Sport Hydro and the New "Bandit" Jersey Skiff in the rain. The windshield is being made for the "Lobster", so it's that's not coming out till than. Let me know, call me !!

Wanted to give everyone an update. I was out at the Pond last weekend and the weekend before making several adjustments to my boat and we are really close to getting this thing running really well.

Because of the depth of the sponsons we had to lower the strut quite a bit. Also put a Voodoo prop on there and the boat is moving pretty good. Handles 'ok' in the turns. Will need to make some adjustments there.

Overall I am pleased with the performance of the boat. She will be winning races soon. I will try to take some video this weekend.

If she wins too many races I may have to get the other District 4 Thunderboat drivers together and adapt the NAMBA Thunderboat rules!
default_smile.png

Jeff and I will be at the pond this Saturday. See you there.

Doug

Doug I would love to join ya guys Saturday but got to work. Seems to me thunderboat should be close for a rule update to include 50s-60s-70s 80s style hull, can't stick with 50-70s hulls forever. Open it up to the 1980s style, it's 37 years ago, got to be classified as a classic, right? Lol

How about - you should have to run a hull that corresponds with the year you were born. Chad - you don't need no more pond time.

Back