K90 KINGCRAFT in JAPAN

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

I don't want to go into all the details of the deal, but I managed to get my hands on a Kingcraft X mono via

K-90 in Australia. First, I will start of by saying that I'm

totally impressed and proud to be the owner of one.

If you aren't an owner then I have one thing to say...

When they get to your part of the neighborhood, your

gonna get smoked ;)

Beatiful craftsmanship on the hull.

The hardware is top quality

And the K-90 (from Russia w/ love)...WOW :eek:

Anyway, I will primarily be using this thread as a communication point with K90 to get it set up and winning.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

K90 will be away this weekend, so let's get it rolling Monday.

Hammer

Hey Dale!

You went out and played all weekend, so I couldn't wait for you.

This thing was a piece of cake. No BS! Everything went together like a dream. I didn't even have one hang up.

View of the engine room. I put the engine in deep, so there is just enough room to slide the starter belt under the fly wheel.The plug is 70mm from the opening.

I will go try it out this coming Friday. I and Mr. Shimizu will go to the pond and break in the engine.

The race will be on the 20th of October. I will have plenty of time to get it trimmed out and running good.

I put a 9151 servo in for the rudder. Should have plenty of torque. It is digital. I also put my custom OS 9b on the K90.

Now I will be able to use it with only 2 channels. Thinking about getting a magic box for it later. I will have to get a three channel for it then. I need the third channel to adjust the sensitivity of the gyro.

I will save the stock K90 carb incase I get curious. I will need to get a 4th channel though. There is plenty of room for two more micro servos, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I got an X460/3 on order. I will go ahead and break it in with that.

(extremely excited) Hammer

Hammer!!

Wow, you dont muck about!!! looks good,

few little things,

you can turn the cooling ring under the water jacket on the motor by loosining off the head bolts to get the water lines a bit neater, you can also cut the top of the transom to get the pipe lower if it will clear the radio box.,

what size fuel tank did you put on board?? i usually use a 24oz dubro tank for the 90's.

how much power does the servo have?? is it around what a Hi-tech 700bb has??

why do you want to try the gyro??? do you want to use it to control the trim plates??

The x460/3 will work ok to run in, you may have to pitch the ends of the blades to load up the motor,

REMEMBER RUN IT RICH AND MINIUM 22% OIL WITH 5% CASTER

i would look at getting a 6514/3 prop shop prop, if you cant get them over there i can get them here,

but i ran over 60mph with a 460/3 and a old CMB so a 460/3 should be ok for heats, the 6514/3 is a much better prop and has a small amount of lift in it so it really settles the boat down.

Let me know how you go!!

Dale

Hammer,

Gyros, four channel, magic box, :eek:

Easy Dude, Yer gonna blow a gasket there!!!!! Ha,Ha

Gene ;D

Great lookin hull by the way!!!!!!

Hey Guys! Of course I fully intend to see how it runs the way it is before I go slapping any of the high tech stuff in it.

I would prefer that it ran fine with out all the extra stuff. Just thinking about if it gets to loose at high speeds. As far as the hull size and weight, It seems to be lighter and smaller than I'm used to in 90 class. Running it with a power horse like the K90 makes me even more nervous.

Hopefully I'm biting my nails for no reason.

Dale! I'm using a 16oz tank with an 8oz hopper.

total 24oz. I think it should be enough.

Hammer

Marty,

that should be enough fuel,

my CMB 100 was very very powerful, and running a 6514/3 it was perfect,

dont worry about too much power you can limit that with the pipe and run the boat wet, remember the trim plates are there to adjust the ride,

i would also suggest try running the trim plates slightly down in the centres and level on the outsides, this will make it ride well in the straight and turn well with out digging in,

I was speeking to a mate who is running a kingcraft with a A100 on board he ran 104km/h all weekend in circuit trim easly one of the fastest X monos in the country, the A100 with have more torque than a K90 but the K90 will rev more, he suggested to try a H31 on the boat, im not a real fan of the 2 blade props but he assures me it will work perfect do you have one of these??

Dale

Hey Dale! Busy at work again, as you can see : :)

Anyway, I got my x460/3. I told Shimizu to cup the ends a little( just a little) like you said. I will go ahead and break in the engine with it. Do you think the K90 will turn a 6514/3

I will wait and see what it does with the 460/3 before I spend anymore money. Keep in mind, I want to win heats. I'm not necessarily interested in breaking the sound barrier.

( I would like to try at the practice pond though ;D)

Can you give me some pipe lengths to start with. I got it at exactly 30cm from the flare to the plug. I don't think going any longer than that will be effective. I want to start long, because I don't want to cut too much off the titanium pipe. Can't afford another one.

I also talked to a guy who used a 9B and had also tried the stock K90 carb with a remote needle. He said the 9B was tons more efficient with the fuel than the K90 carb with no difference in performance. He's got me. Do you have any idea why this may be? The barrel has such a minimal difference in size that I don't think that it would matter.

Talk to you later.

Hammer at the office.

Hey Marty,

the K90 will spin a 6514/3 easly!! the new CMB's are pulling 7016/3 easly, so you wont have a problem, i found the 6514/3 was the best for heat racing, some people like bigger tho,

i will email you my pipe measurments

the 9B carb will work better in a mono due to the low end needle basically it allows you to throttle the motor very ealsy, the stock carb dosent have that and will fuel up if you are off it for to long, they work great on the hydros, was the carb he had the old one or the new one??

You will like it with that prop on the back, makes the boat really nice to drive and should do 60+mph with out much problem,

Dale

Hey Dale! With the water pick up on the rudder you supplied; is it enough to cool her down? I had Mr. Shimizu make another water pick up for me just in-case.

When you run do you just use the one? If not, how are you setting the second one up? One more Q! I want to change the standard top screws on the head to HEX if possible, I did it on my Rossi .21 on other Italian engines that I have.

Makes maintainance a little easier, and minimizes my pile of tools. Do you live with the Standards? What size are they. They aren't 3mm, and they aren't 4mm either. They seem to be someplace in between.

Hammer

Took her to the pond today for the maiden voyage.

I'm totally satisfied ;D

The K90 was a dream. It cranked over with ease from the start. I had to take the 9B's needle down to 2 turns to keep it from sputtering, but it smoothed out. I ran about 5 tanks through it at 2 turns, and I started leaning it out 2 clicks at at time. I got it down to about 1.5 turns at about 10 tanks. I think that is as far as I want to go for now. The O.S will go down to 1.10 turns, but I don't this baby needs to.

As far as the boat. It gets a little crazy in the straights, but it really takes the corners like it is cutting butter. I think I can get it to settle down in the straights with some trim tab adjustments. It really wasn't so bad that I couldn't handle it.

I will get some pics later today to post.

You made me as happy as a frog in a mud puddle, Dale.

Thanks!

Hammer

Yes the water pick up is enough, i use the same size pickup on my twin to cool both motors,

Ah the head bolts, you are correct they are inbetween, they are 3.5mm i cant get hex bolts anywhere down here, we just use them and replace them with the same when required.

Dale

Took her to the pond today for the maiden voyage.

I'm totally satisfied ;D

The K90 was a dream. It cranked over with ease from the start. I had to take the 9B's needle down to 2 turns to keep it from sputtering, but it smoothed out. I ran about 5 tanks through it at 2 turns, and I started leaning it out 2 clicks at at time. I got it down to about 1.5 turns at about 10 tanks. I think that is as far as I want to go for now. The O.S will go down to 1.10 turns, but I don't this baby needs to.

As far as the boat. It gets a little crazy in the straights, but it really takes the corners like it is cutting butter. I think I can get it to settle down in the straights with some trim tab adjustments. It really wasn't so bad that I couldn't handle it.

I will get some pics later today to post.

You made me as happy as a frog in a mud puddle, Dale.

Thanks!

Hammer
Execlent Marty!!

Keep it on the rich side dude just to be safe, was she revving hard?? what prop did you have on the back??

just lower the centre of the tabs a little to settle it down in the straights, just go 1/2 turn at a time till you get it right, you will know when you ahve gone to far as it will plow water. you can also play with bringing up the turn fin till it wont turn properly then lower it a bit, you will find it will pickup speed in the turns by doing this.

Dale

Okay Dude!

I will keep the outer edges level with the bottom of the boat, and work the inner sides. I was thinking about playing with the turnfins, too. I will do it on Friday.

I was using a tuned x460/3. I think it is fine for now. I will get a 6514/3 later and try it out.

I didn't get it all the way broken in, yet. It was running rich when I finished yesterday. I think I can lean it out more, but for right now, it is so damned fast, that I don't think I need to fry my engine just to get a few more kph out of it.

I think that would be kinda pointless.

Still haven't got the pics from the camera guy yet. I will post them as soon as I get them.

Take care

Hammer

Marty,

Did it pull the 460/3 easy??? if it did i would get the 6514/3 and put it on and not change the setup till it is on there, the setup will change alot with the different prop.

How are you going for speed compared to the other monos over there?? there is no reason you cant run 100+km/h in oval trim!!

Dale

Back