Legg Lake SAW event

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Bontoft

I hope everyone has a great time, the water is flat and many records are broken. Even mine!

Like every event that stands the test of time it takes a few key people to keep it happening. Mark, I know is the Bastion of this event and I thank him for all his hard work. I think he will be the first to agree he couldn't put it on without many of his great helpers. Thanks guys, I for one hope the event keeps growing so that one of these years I can make it back there. Keep up the great work.

Please keep us all informed that cannot be present.

Cheers

From memory

Darin Jordan M2 81.522mph 1 cell hydro! Fast pass of 87 on a different run

Brian Buass 120.28 P hydro. Fast pass of 132 but could not back it up.

Mark grim 110MPH GX2 hydro. Fast pass of 111mph

Mark Grim 85.xxMPH 1/2A hydro. This one I am unsure of.

Mark Grim had a cracker box record with Bill Koster in the mid 50's.

There may be one more I am forgetting.

Don Maher had some fast passes around 114-116 mph

I had the fast pass of the weekend at 135MPH.

Tyler

Tyler,

Thanks for the report. I here Mark's little 12-hydro was running around 89

MPH on a few passes? That is getting up there for that little motor.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Thanks for the update Tyler, So I think that's gives Mark, owner of the fastest gasoline Powered RC boat title. Contrats Mark. Another reason to return. Lol. One cell record is amazing. Great job Darin. Congrats to everyone else who got a record. I know they don't come easy. But there lies the challenge . Cheers

official results:

Brian Buass: P Hydro 120.28MPH, fast pass on a different run of 132MPH.
Darin Jordan: M2 Hydro 81.522MPH, fats pass on a different run of 87MPH.
Mark Grim: GX-2 Hydro 110.024MPH, 111MPH fast pass.
Mark Grim/Bill Koster: Open Crackerbox 57.915MPH, fast pass of 58MPH.
Mark Grim 1/2A Hydro: 88.201MPH with a fast pass of 91MPH.

Tyler,

Thanks for the report. I here Mark's little 12-hydro was running around 89

MPH on a few passes? That is getting up there for that little motor.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
The little .12's are a kick. Marks fast pass was 91 and change, I hit 89 with the new boat. Both boats were running Grim built Nova 5 ports.

Hats off to Darin. I think people forget what an amazing performance it is to run 80 plus on one cell. MPH per volt, he's the fastest in the world.

The gas boats were running really well. Bill's crackerboxes are beautiful pieces of woodwork that just happen to go really fast. Mark's rigger just gets smoother every year.

P-hydro, let's just say it was eye opening. I wasn't expecting the 132 pass. It definitely has me rethinking a few things. All I can say for sure is the new 120 record is soft.

Tyler, we'll get it next time!
default_wink.png

Thanks to Jim Schaefer at ABC props for huge amounts of help, I think we're only getting started with the possibilities.

After last summer, it was great to see all my friends again, Tyler, Don, Mark, Steve, Tony, Darin. Especially Kim Grim for the amazing lunches! I always get home with an extra few pounds. You guys are all the best.

P.S. Mike B. we miss having you here, hope you make it back over to play one of these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Brian, I was going to come this year but Brigitte is in the middle of applying for her UK Visa. Will be there next year.

Darin, can we see a few pictures of your one cell boat. Sounds intriguing. That cell must have been a good one!

Cheers

Thanks Darin, very smooth. From my limited work with electric boats that must be a real balancing act to keep voltage for rpm and yet have enough amps to propel it. I always like the idea of doing amazing things with minimal equipment . My wife's always very kind to me on that front. Lol

Bills boat was fun to drive last year...VERY happy to hear he and Mark got a record with it :)

well done on the records fellas!

Thanks Darin, very smooth. From my limited work with electric boats that must be a real balancing act to keep voltage for rpm and yet have enough amps to propel it. I always like the idea of doing amazing things with minimal equipment . My wife's always very kind to me on that front. Lol
Right

Lohring Miller

PS We miss you.

IMG_4025.jpg

Sorry for the delay in reporting, guys. Got home from LA Tuesday afternoon and spent the day Wednesday sick with a cold.

I'm back, however, and already prepping for next season!

First, what a great weekend. Weather on Friday and Saturday was great, and even Sunday, until 11am. After that, the wind blew and we were done for the day.

As you might imagine, I'm pretty thrilled with the performance of my 1-Cell, M2-Hydro! After 3 years of trying, and lots and LOTS of help, I've finally accomplished my goal of breaking that record AND breaking 80mph!! It's been a lot of work and a lot of money, but was worth every penny!!

I've just placed an order for a new, more powerful motor, and am starting the design for another hull. Next stop, 90+! With an 87mph fast pass on the weekend, what the heck, right?

Seeing a P-Hydro go 132mph was quite a thrill! Good Grief that's fast!

Missed Jay being at the event. Hopefully next time.

Many, MANY thanks need to go out to Mark and Kim Grim. They put on a heck of an event, regardless of how many show up, and without them this would not be possible.

I'd also like to thank Tyler, Brian, and Mark for all the help and advice over the past several years. This takes a team, and they are one hell of a team!

Also thanks to Tony Heller. He's a staple at these events, without which we wouldn't likely have video to show!

In between running, I did manage to snap some pictures at the event. Here are a few of them.

20151113_113009.jpg

20151113_113012.jpg

20151113_113018.jpg

20151114_084443x.jpg

20151114_091625.jpg

Thanks Lohring. Thanks Darin for the pictures, I try not to think about how much money this hobby has cost me over the years, as you put it, worth every penny, not done yet.

I have been learning lots from the little kart engines I've been building, even getting (wrongfully) accused of cheating ( www.facebook.com/Bontoft-Kart-Engines )so I must be doing something right. Hopefully I can apply these techniques to building a good G1 engine

Cheers

image.jpeg

Back