Fourth Annual Herb Stewart Memorial Race

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Minassian

The Brandon Model Boaters would like to welcome everyone to the Fourth Annual Herb Stewart Memorial Race located at Dover District Park in Dover, FL on October 31st and November 1st with open water on Friday October 30th,

There are a few changes to the race format this year, it's listed on the flier but I will list it on here as well.

This race is now going to be a full two day race, due to the overwhelming attendance from years past, we will now start racing at 9:00 am on Saturday. We will not have open water on Saturday morning.

Also there will be five rounds of heat racing, every heat counts towards placing 1-3 for the final of each class.

The traveling Herb Stewart trophy will be done like we did last year on a graduated scale. This means if you take first place in a class that has the most boats you will receive 400 points towards the trophy. If you picked a class that didn't have as many boats as the biggest class, you receive a percentage of those 400 points. This is to create an even playing field due to it being extremely easier to win first place in a 3 boat class as it is in a 25 boat class. This ONLY affect the traveling trophy and not the individual 1-3 places for each class.

Also we will be accepting mail in entries but you must mail your entry to Mike Culhane with a check, your namba number, frequencies, and which classes you want to be entered in. Once we receive your check we will manually enter you.

Get them signed up, and we can't wait to see everyone again this year for some awesome racing!!

Time to get this one back up to the top. Get those entries in boys, hoping for a bigger turn out than last year!

As of this post we have a total of six racers signed up for this race. If we don't see a drastic change in entries for this race by the end of the month Mike and I will either make the decision to cancel this race all together or change it to a Saturday fun day race.

If you plan on coming please get signed up now as we need to see a showing to justify ordering trophies.

Thanks

Matt

Still 6 weeks out so no need to panic. As for awards keep it simple. We have gotten by with certificates in the past and no complaints. Also with a couple kneelers around and some OB riggers, any chance for a open or limited hydro class? (Sport JAE 21/s against 45ss Kneelers?)

Mic

Matt were all coming to have fun that is what it is about hang in there i know of alot of people havent signed up like Mic said we dont need trophys medalians or a certificate is great

I think more people would sign up if there was a mail in entry option. I'm planning on coming but if no one is coming what's the point? It sucks because this is probably the best tunnel race there is!

There is a mail in option listed in the race details. Mike Culhane has his address posted there. I have been waiting to see if Max will be available that weekend. Seems no other interest in OB hydro class other than Jeff M and I. Have a dozen boats to enter and send Mike a check.

Mic

I too am very surprised at the extremely low turnout thus far. I understand this is a specialty race, but if people have no problem shelling out money for the fall nats or the tunnel champs even further in advance than the Herb Stewart race I don't understand why they can't do the same for the Herb Stewart race.

Maybe I'm just getting old and crass but seems weird to me. Hope people sign up, I'd hate to see this race be less than what it deserves to me. There is a very good chance that this may be my last race I attend for quite some time as I may be looking at selling my fleet to start a business so I'd love to get together with the tunnel heads and race some boats.

Matt

I am waiting on some couplers to arrive for my spec tunnel. Once I have those in my hand I will be getting signed up. I was a bit late ordering them but Chris has sent them so I expect them here in time

After discussions with Mike today we have decided we will give entries another few days until Saturday. If we don't see a significant increase in entries we will be canceling this race in it's entirety and refunding everyone's money.

Thanks

Brandon Model Boaters

Mailed in my entry last week. haven't seen it posted yet? Small turnout just run on Sunday the 1st without awards? Haloween night Saturday might be keeping people away. Kids and parties.

Mic

I hate to see this news on many levels, but honestly the part that hurts the most is , I HAD to stand off this year.

Im at a point in my life and dealing with certain issues, that there was zero way I could have given this any reasonable amount of time helping you guys, promoting or talking up the race , making the phone calls and rallying the guys , helping with the setup ect, let alone even race.

Those that know, are aware that this was my baby so to speak- with some collaboration with a few close friends several years back, I dove head first into making this race something special, something different and something that would continue to grow. We brainstormed for some time and then put the effort into motion, and it grew- and its my hope in 2016 (god willing Im in a better place in life ) we can get this thing back on track and growing to what those that raced it - those that helped brainstorm it - those that knew Herbie , know what it means and what it can be. Please be **** SURE this is not any type of knock on Brandon- it aint there fault imho. It would be great if the powers that be, the racers who have been around for this race AND the Storm series could all get together sooner rather than later, and rework a few things and make this the race its capable of in 2016 .

I can assure you that anyone that participated in this race and even Mics efforts in the STORM series on the Tri-Oval walked away with a HUGE smile on their faces , I know I did. There where and still are many many fond memories and friendships made from the those races and I look forward to many more with a top notch bunch of Tunnel Heads . Will get a little photo montage video of those races up here in the next few days to rekindle some of those forgotten times for you guys
default_wink.png

Peace,

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope not i had a great time last year even though i did bad looking forward to this race even if we do run one day we dont need trophys just race

Back