reducing the dia on a 1450/2 prop

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

What is the proper way to reduce the diameter on a stock 1450 prop.I would like to start there as well as some mods but have never modded a prop before.

I use a lathe. It's very important to get both blades the same radius. It also helps to get them the same profile. I watched this done with the prop chucked in a drill and very carefully held against a belt sander. It takes skill to hold it steady and not change the diameter, but the results can be very good. Next the blades can be sharpened, thinned, and balanced.

Lohring Miller

If you want perfection and not blow a bucket of dough on ruined props, ask Mark Sholand to do it, it costs a bit but I bet in the end it's cheaper than the several props you may ruin trying to find the sweet spot.

Terry... make a mold of plumbers epoxy of one blade(wax/grease) with a stub shaft in a block.... trim all the excess away.... taking a '50 to 46mm isnt much and oncet ya have the stock profile molded you can draw lines on the mold to match the blades to... ie: mechanical lead pencil lead is 2mm once the dia is symmetrical and the profile is roughed in, I then sharpen, thin and pre balance.... "season to taste for your boat".... some guys use a piece of paper and fold it etc, ... i've a 3/16ths shaft machined to half shaft for measurements with a dial caliper if... i just want to be diameter critical..... my eye seems fairly good, as usually it doesnt take an innordinate amount to balance things quickly..... cup to taste, and if its THE ONE..... make a mold of that too..... off ya go... whatya got to lose?... 11 bucks?..... I do, use a respirator, and have clothing suited to protect my hands and self.... take heed..... mike

I've tried reducing diameters on a few props without much success. Even made a couple fixtures( for two and three blade) to make sure the blades are equal length. I'm not sure what the problem is but think it may be that the pitch is progressive on octura props so anything taken off the dia. will reduce the pitch. Just my .02 cents

Glenn

I could be wrong, but I think pitch progression is from the leading edge to the training edge, not from the hub outward. reducing the diameter should do anything to pitch progression.. of course,, I could be totally wrong..

Ok thanks guys.It might be something I will try or just leave it to those who know what they are doing....lol..

Terry,

Just send it to me and I will fix you up when I get home from vacation.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the health hazards with working on beryllium copper, I would suggest that you leave it to the pros to do the grinding unless you have the proper safety equipment. Mark Sholund has always treated me well. It takes a lot of work to get a prop just right. Comparing the time it takes to get a prop just the way you like it yourself, to what Mark charges for perfection, you are getting an awesome deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry,

Another option is to find a pitched up H-5 or H-6 and try it.

We are getting excellent results with them on some

JAE-21 set ups.

Just A Thought,

Mark Sholund

Mark, you have my e-mails just let me know what you think when you return and I will send the funds pronto.

I have an h-6 and h-5 but have no idea on their numbers.I might try them sometime.I have olny tried the h-7's and 1450's and it likes the 1450's the best.

Terry,

Have you tried the propellers I sent you yet?

Let Me Know Please?

Mark Sholund

Back