Boat Clubs in louisiana

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the mid 1980's thru the early 90's there used to be a pond that we ran boats on that was in he
Maplewood area where the West bound lane of I-210 joined to I-10 you could see it from the ramp as
you went down to I-10, we used to lease the pond for $1 a year from the land owner. Had 2 sanctioned
races a year, plus IMPBA straight-away and oval time trial's every year. Back then Jerry Pettifer was
the club president and we had a club of about 15-20 members, racers came from all over Louisiana &
Texas, plus a few of boaters from the Memphis and Alabama area clubs to our races, had a great time,
until houses were starting to be built across from the pond and eventually after many years of running
at that site the owner was forced to shut us down due to noise complaints from the new residents. There
was also a club in the Lafayette area that used to run on a pond that was across from the University of
Southern Louisiana Research area where they used to keep their monkeys and chimpanzees. The only
other club was the Baton Rouge Nitro Burners that had a race site at Greenwood Park in Baker, LA., went
by there a few weeks ago and it is now a water amusement park for canoeing and fishing. So as it stands
at this time there is only one model boat racing site in Louisiana and that is the Voodoo Model Boat Club
in Reserve Louisiana, but I believe most of that club are into gas powered racing boats.

Back in the mid 1980's thru the early 90's there used to be a pond that we ran boats on that was in he
Maplewood area where the West bound lane of I-210 joined to I-10 you could see it from the ramp as
you went down to I-10, we used to lease the pond for $1 a year from the land owner. Had 2 sanctioned
races a year, plus IMPBA straight-away and oval time trial's every year. Back then Jerry Pettifer was
the club president and we had a club of about 15-20 members, racers came from all over Louisiana &
Texas, plus a few of boaters from the Memphis and Alabama area clubs to our races, had a great time,
until houses were starting to be built across from the pond and eventually after many years of running
at that site the owner was forced to shut us down due to noise complaints from the new residents. There
was also a club in the Lafayette area that used to run on a pond that was across from the University of
Southern Louisiana Research area where they used to keep their monkeys and chimpanzees. The only
other club was the Baton Rouge Nitro Burners that had a race site at Greenwood Park in Baker, LA., went
by there a few weeks ago and it is now a water amusement park for canoeing and fishing. So as it stands
at this time there is only one model boat racing site in Louisiana and that is the Voodoo Model Boat Club
in Reserve Louisiana, but I believe most of that club are into gas powered racing boats.
We run intro boats also

I raced with you guys way back then...I was with lsmbc out of Texas.... I came over to the pond off of 210,, we had some races going on and people in those new houses starting shooting at us with potato guns!!!
Funniest **** thing we had ever seen!!

Also raced at the Monkey farm lake in New Iberia... They held a Top gun race there every year and first place got you a black powder pistol as a trophy!! I still have mine for winning .20 mono one year.
I also left a brand new .60 mono at the bottom of that pond...Part of the flotation came out when the boat flipped and it sunk at turn #4.
Paid a diver to search, he burnt up 2 tanks of air but never found it....boat was black, so I'm sure he would have to have been right on top of it to find it.

Also ran with the Southern Gentleman over in Slidell.... they put on some great races too.

Most definitely some of the best people during the best of times for model boaters... Sad to see the state of it today.. Louisiana people are some of the friendliest people in the country, always up for a good time and great food!!!

Back