adhesives development

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

Guys,

I'm a process engineer dealing with adhesives. One of my vendors has a new product that is very interesting to the model boat hobby. This is Loctite4090. This is a hybrid CA / epoxy material. It offers the curing rate of a slow CA and structural bond of a slow cure epoxy. vibration and water resistant. Henkel will never say "water proof" as someone will find a way to show it failed..

This is a 2 part product that you need a small hand held dispenser for...

This could really rock building a wooden boat or gluing in servo mounts,.. etc...

Check it out on line.. http://www.loctite.com.au/ase/content_data/356366_LOCTITE_4090_Sell_Sheet.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Like a lot of adhesives, it says it bonds to "most" plastics. curious if it can do any better sticking to polypropylene or polyethylene (the thing fuel tanks and pool noodles are made of.) Those two plastics usually laugh at any glue or tape.

The issue with most plastics and bonding is surface energy being too low. If you raise that by etching or sometimes cleaning with a solvent it should be better.

There is some interest so I'm getting some more of the material..

Here is the drawback,.. This is a 2 part adhesive. there is a small static mixing tip that comes with the cartridge. Actually 5 of them. If the material flashes in the tube that tube is done,.. if you run out,.. it's really hard to mix by hand,.. so you have to plan your application.

But if you plan the assembly in stages you can really make some progress in a short time.. And maybe this is used in structural area only,.. and maybe CA in others..

I've sent you a pm about this product--Is it available in the US? If so how can I procure some. Pun intended--CURE. GRAYDDS

Latest posts

Back