AA .45 engine carb

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianPhillips

Any known way to install a carb on these things that have a needle, I'm completely done messing with remote needles, next step there all going in the trash can and back to the gas boats

Don't give up Brian, the AA carb is a good one and remote needles work great, you just need to make sure you have a good one. Your reference about going back to gas makes me think that your more comfortable with that style of carb, they are plainly two different animals. Most Nitro motors and carbs work differently, first the Nitro carb is designed to flow best at WOT, therefore they don't idle well, in fact when started and if set right are on the verge of loading up your engine until it's launched and you open it up. Depending on the engine and your set up you may need to throttle it up and down until it's launched to keep it clean and capable of launching. If you purchase a high quality aftermarket carb you will find them to be designed for the most part the same. As for your remote needle, there are a few that are good, the old cmdi style which work well but I find them to change a little bit too much for every click on the adjustment knob on your radio. The Ferrette needles with the OS needles I have found to be the best out there, the changes are finer, which I like, I make fewer mistakes on the fly.

Once you find your WOT sweet spot, I find that I adjust the needle very little, in testing in the morning I send it out fat, lean it in until it's crisp, bring it in, check the plug and that's it. If the day warms up a bunch, I may need to creep the needle a touch leaner but that's it.

I find how much I move the needle to be minimally from race to race. It sounds like you just haven't found that sweet spot yet, doing that is key to making a Nitro engine wail. This is all assuming your boat is set up correctly and you have the correct prop and pipe combo, if any of that is out of whack you can drive yourself batty trying to tune your engine.

Best advice I could give you would be to buddy up with a local Nitro tuner, they can really help you unravel the mystery. Best of luck to you Brian, don't give up, when it all comes together it's awesome!

Greg, I can't express enough gratitude for your comments, my problem is there are NO nitro guys in AZ for help, bought this SGX with the AA in it to have a good B hydro for vegas nationals but can't get it to run 5 feet with a drilled out 440 prop, my old k&b with the red carb is just trouble free, just have no experience with remote needle, unfortunately I've had to start scratching nitro classes...

Brian, I have experience with the AS 45 which one are you running? Straight in intake of angled?

What pipe are you using and at what length?

You said you are using a drilled out 440 prop, please explain.

Brian

If you can take the time to come to Legg Lake on a Saturday or Sunday I would be more than happy to help you get the boat sorted out

I know it can get frustrating some times

Henry

Let me know

Hi Rick, its the straight style... about the prop ,was just trying to get it away from the shore so I drilled the center out of the 440 to fit the shaft to try, only props I had that day were a 1450 and 1655

Henry I really wish I could but thats a pretty long drive from AZ, this is the boat I got from you sir

Brian

That's why I wanted to help , I know the boat but the AA 45 and pipe were brand new and needed dialing in

I know 6 hour drive is a pain but just think of all the road kill you can see on the way

Henry

I appreciate that Henry, I got 4 tanks thru it on the garden hose but at the pond cant get from table to water before it either loads up and dies or goes full throttle and dies...I ve already scratched from the nationals with it, appears it will be a shelf queen...

Where in AZ are you

I will be in Casa Grande on the 8th of October

getting boats ready for Vegas

if you arent far away perhaps we could run down to Marana and get your boat running

Richard

Hi Richard, I live in Maricopa just behind there but unfortunately I work every weekend til I was going to vegas, I really appreciate your offer tho

Brian

Sorry Rick not completely sure which pipe it is, believe it is the aa .45 parabolic one , I have it at 9.5...Bob voilet needle in it

When I get there I will be available every day we need to get you running what lake or pond are you using

I might have a prop that will work also

Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottsdale and tucson are the only ones were insured at, scottsdale is more of a hope you can bring something back home lately, kinda scary running over there anymore with some of the other guys there

Thats what I thought also, not like the old k&b days anymore, I haven't got a clue on this new stuff, I can get it to fire no problem then it loads up super rich then it seems like it just goes super lean then dies...total idiot with it i guess

I will, thank you for the help sir, I have a couple gas classes im still entered in for vegas if theres any help you need there also let me know, always happy to lend a hand

Back