Pushing 100 RoadRunner Twin 90s VACs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaselkins

Larry Bealls RR 90 been at 94.5 during brake in did not put a GPS on today but sure you can see its got some gitty up!

Its all in the set up guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Boat looks great ...can't wait to line it up with Larry soon !!!!!!! **** wiley veteran Twin dog !!!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

SORRY GUYS!!! You could not sell me that as being 94.5!!! :eek: :eek:
Chuck that run was not GPSed but others with GPS durring prop picks and brake in was and the GPS don't lie. We where surprised also, but the boat still has some needle in it. Have faith in the RR

Chuck that run was not GPSed but others with GPS durring prop picks and brake in was and the GPS don't lie. We where surprised also, but the boat still has some needle in it. Have faith in the RR
Roadrunners are great boats, I've run them for years but GPS units used in these applications are often inaccurate especially when thrown into a corner at speed. (a GPS can be used with a good degree of accuracy in prop testing if you do so in a straight line- go fast straight, slow down as much as you can to turn around then hit it again in a straight line). One of the biggest issues is the refresh rate is too slow (among other things), do some research on how they actually work to get a better understanding of this. I know people like to argue that they "verified" their speed using their GPS in the car but let's see you do a 70 foot circle in your vehicle at even 60 mph...........you can't. Please take no offense and not taking anything away from the boat as it looked and sounded real good but I have to side with Chuck on this one, it's not "pushing 100" as using a Guess Possible Speed device in an oval circuit will often give you very misleading information. I can't begin to tell you how many times we've heard people say "well that's not what my GPS says" after we hit their "80mph boat" with the radar gun......... ;)

Larry Bills brought this boat to Atlanta, On Friday I seen the boat make several 90 mph passes with Andy`s prepped 2170 2175 props. He heat raced some of Martys prepped 1667 props. Very fast Boat that Raced Rich & had more under the hood. After the release of the VAC 91`s we now need a Larger TWIN boat that will store & flow more fuel & some Bigger props. Right now they are thinking about racing SAW props. The Motor has PLENTY MORE........... Larry had the Boat HOOKED UP & HAULING ASS in Atlanta Open Water...... I dont think a lot of the GPS Numbers, But I know what a 90mph boat looks like. When you see it?? You won`t forget it.....

Even if he is running 90-95 mph, with 2170's or 2175's all I can do is laugh why anybody is surprised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE NOT TURNING 'ANY' RPM AT 90 MPH WITH 2175'S. -90-95 WITH THOSE PROPS ARE A JOKE-. Twins with 1667's have ran 90+ FOR YEARS NOW. Thats alot less pitch,but more rpm.Call rpm what you want I call it horsepower. Jeff Lutz

Even if he is running 90-95 mph, with 2170's or 2175's all I can do is laugh why anybody is surprised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE NOT TURNING 'ANY' RPM AT 90 MPH WITH 2175'S. -90-95 WITH THOSE PROPS ARE A JOKE-. Twins with 1667's have ran 90+ FOR YEARS NOW. Thats alot less pitch,but more rpm.Call rpm what you want I call it horsepower. Jeff Lutz
I may be wrong, I often do but I think the props have 7 plus in them. And 90-95 with clean plugs and easy on the engine life sounds good to me and my check book

I also have to agree with BigChuck - our twin danced in the mid 90's before with 2170's and the acceleration and speed was awesome! My guess is Larry's twin looks to be running in the mid 80's.... In heat racing that speed doesn't really matter - the boat looks like it is running very smooth and would be hard to beat if he got a good start...

Steve

I also have to agree with BigChuck - our twin danced in the mid 90's before with 2170's and the acceleration and speed was awesome! My guess is Larry's twin looks to be running in the mid 80's.... In heat racing that speed doesn't really matter - the boat looks like it is running very smooth and would be hard to beat if he got a good start...

Steve

"In heat racing that speed doesn't really matter"

Absolutely!! Steve pinned it, after a lap or two of 6 twins on the pond NOBODY is running anywhere near 90 with as tore up as the water gets. ;)

JS BROTHERS!!!!

I have MUCH video of your ORANGE twin. And that was 10 years ago. Your boat and Larry's boat with the Hydro 90's in it were the two boats that stood out in my mind.

Now that I have a twin I an constantly replaying these videos. And while we are on the door step, we have not yet punched through. Everyone..............and I do mean EVERYONE that is running is thinking that we have moved up.

WE HAVE!!!! We just have not MADE it 100MPH............................................YET!!! B) B) ;) ;)

JS BROTHERS!!!!

I have MUCH video of your ORANGE twin. And that was 10 years ago. Your boat and Larry's boat with the Hydro 90's in it were the two boats that stood out in my mind.

Now that I have a twin I an constantly replaying these videos. And while we are on the door step, we have not yet punched through. Everyone..............and I do mean EVERYONE that is running is thinking that we have moved up.

WE HAVE!!!! We just have not MADE it 100MPH............................................YET!!! B) B) ;) ;)
Big Chuck, I could set a twin up in heat race trim that would radar 100+ mph in clean water on a radar gun.BUT, in my opinion there is no reason to do that without expanding the course longer and with wider turns,for the reason that Steve and Don have pointed out.In heat racing you need a boat that will run straight,accelerate fast,and handle rough water.My guess is Larry's twin is prop walking,and thats one of the reasons he "switched" to 1667's for heat racing.If someone is giving left rudder,props coming unhooked in a heat race, someone with a twin that will run 88-92 with low lift props, boat running straight will lane 28 the guy clawing with some 2175's. Jeff L.

All 2 strokes DIESEL , GAS, & NITRO make there Peak HP @ Higher RPM Ranges.

A lot to be said for the thought process for everyone to get to the magic number. Wether useful or not in opinions

TOP FUEL is TOP FUEL!!!! ;) ;) B)

I was wrong, just under 8 for the big wheels, Sorry so many non believers about this old RR, that's ok lets go racing

For you doubters......

Don't, the boat is awesome and running mid 90's. It is set up as good as any twin that I have seen for heat racing. Will mill slow, accelerate instantly, run fast. Only thing that could be better is the turn fin :)

Boat is mid 90's with SAW blades (heat race turn fin and long rudder) that take some time to get up. Will race at mid 80's with 1667's. I would bet that with a SAW fin and shorter rudder, 100+ would be EASY.

Back