2017 OPS .45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Betke

Supporting Member
I recently got one of the new OPS .45's and thought I would share some information on it for everyone. I have not run the motor yet, but have taken it apart and took some measurements off of it. This motor is a brand new design by OPS and not a copy of any other motor that was made at one point in time.

Specs (measured in inches):

Bore = .8643

Stroke = .761

Rod Length = 1.376

Boost port timing = 142 deg.

Transfer port timing = 138 deg.

Exhaust timing = 188 deg.

Head volume = .38cc

Engine is 1 piece case and utilizes M6001 and M608 bearings. Bearings have plastic retainers for better wear. Front bearing has seal on outside.

OPS45bearings.jpgOPS45side2.jpgOPS45sideview.jpg

Piston and sleeve fit is tight. It will need a slow break in. The sleeve has 7 intake ports and 1 exhaust port. The boost port has a large opening and there is a big sub port for the transfers. There is a nice size slot in the piston to align with the sub port on the transfers.

OPS45PS3.jpgOPS45PS1.jpgOPS45PS exhaust.jpg

Drum rotor assembly is made of a barstock housing with a bushing pressed in and a steel rotor. Bronze bushing is a large enough diameter so that the face of the rotor that runs against it is always touching the bronze and will not rub on the aluminum. Both pieces are machined well.

OPS45rotor.jpgOPS45rotor2.jpg

Crankshaft has 3 slugs in it for balancing. Since I have not run the motor yet I cannot tell you the effect, but it is an obvious attempt to balance the engine as close as possible right from the factory.

OPS45crank.jpgOPS45crankendview.jpg

Carburetor is machined from barstock and has a .470 bore on it. It also has a mid range adjustment and anodized barrel. It is a big bore for a .45. Carb arm is quite large and may need to be trimmed to fit in some boats, but it is made from solid aluminum. There is no needle valve assembly for the carb provided with the engine.

OPS45carb.jpg

The water cooled head on the engine does have 4 water fittings on it. Not sure why, but you can loctite a 4mm set screw in the ones you do not want to use. The volume of cooling looks to be the same as most engines on the market. It has a O-ring on the bottom of the water jacket for a seal.

OPS45topview.jpg

Flywheel assembly is the same OPS assembly that was made for years. It does not have a collet for a flex cable, so you will have to get one. The crank has a 1/4-28 thread on it like most other engines.

The machining on all of the parts are nice and they have done a lot of things on this motor to try and put a competitive product out. The timing is aggressive, so the next step is to get this in a boat and see how it performs.

More to come.

hi mike,thanks for the findings on this motor. have ran a few ops motors from boats,planes and cars and always liked them.very strong in build and performance.carb size is a bit large for a .45 but looks real nice.don't see a need for mid-range needle,most people will screw that up and get lost.i like the timing #'s (blow down seems nice 50-52) wondering what nitro% motor is set up for at stock #'s? please keep us posted on the testing..fuel,pipe,etc.thanks and good luck,mike.

Very nice the 90 black heads are charged also. Have been for a few years know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike I just tell you about info new Piston/sleeve really hardly turn very tight (cause crap) then piston will break down pull wrist pin out or con rod . I stopped by my good friend Doug Sick's place and yes he said too tight so he worked on diamond tap machine for piston/ sleeve and set up shim .012 perfect and smooth turn better light tight . I dont like OPS carb is too big bore 12mm and OPS flywheel no room only crankshaft's thread only 1/4" less end ( collet 1/4-28 will fell off ) so I changed my zoom carb bore 11mm and picco flywheel with S.S cone look good thread 1/2" end ( collet fit good tight ) I put to fit my picco header onto the OPS 45 exhaust. I just ran engine test only rich break in through fuel about 18 oz on table today . I hope that I will try run my SGX 45 on water this week but lousy weather
default_sleep.png

and OPS flywheel no room only crankshaft's thread only 1/4" less end ( collet 1/4-28 will fell off )
sounds like old OPS .45 marine flywheel length is too long (not intended for this engine), does not allow for proper amount of thread for coupler to secure flywheel. I plan to use Picco P45R flywheel & original carb (modded by Orlic)

Hi Allan!!

You say 12mm carb is to large??

How many have not run MAC or CMB with 12mm carb?

Why not test it as is and see how it works?

Just my thought.

Yes, i run my CMB 90 also with 12mm and that works good.

I also run 12mm on my tether car 5cc Engines so what is big??

On a 1,5cc tether car Engine i use 7,3mm. THAT is big
default_smile.png

I agree that it`s nice to see a new engine on the market. Happens not so often.

Update with how it runns.

Oh, thank`s Mike for all the info also!!

Anders

and OPS flywheel no room only crankshaft's thread only 1/4" less end ( collet 1/4-28 will fell off )
sounds like old OPS .45 marine flywheel length is too long (not intended for this engine), does not allow for proper amount of thread for coupler to secure flywheel. I plan to use Picco P45R flywheel & original carb (modded by Orlic)
Yes this could be an issue. I was going to look and see if Octura has a collet that is turned down for this application. The stock drive nut that comes with the engine is turned down and goes up inside the flywheel, so a flex collet will have to duplicate this.

Hi Mike I just tell you about info new Piston/sleeve really hardly turn very tight (cause crap) then piston will break down pull wrist pin out or con rod . I stopped by my good friend Doug Sick's place and yes he said too tight so he worked on diamond tap machine for piston/ sleeve and set up shim .012 perfect and smooth turn better light tight . I dont like OPS carb is too big bore 12mm and OPS flywheel no room only crankshaft's thread only 1/4" less end ( collet 1/4-28 will fell off ) so I changed my zoom carb bore 11mm and picco flywheel with S.S cone look good thread 1/2" end ( collet fit good tight ) I put to fit my picco header onto the OPS 45 exhaust. I just ran engine test only rich break in through fuel about 18 oz on table today . I hope that I will try run my SGX 45 on water this week but lousy weather
default_sleep.png
The engine does not come with a header and they do not make one for it yet. I picco header will fit right on if you have one. I was lucky to still have a new one left over from back in the day. You could go with a coupler connected right to the engine and no header. Dave from GotNitro, asked me why we did not do it that way and I really did not have a good answer for him. I know I have seen Martin run pipes that way on some of his set ups.

Hi Allan!!

You say 12mm carb is to large??

How many have not run MAC or CMB with 12mm carb?

Why not test it as is and see how it works?

Just my thought.

Yes, i run my CMB 90 also with 12mm and that works good.

I also run 12mm on my tether car 5cc Engines so what is big??

On a 1,5cc tether car Engine i use 7,3mm. THAT is big
default_smile.png

I agree that it`s nice to see a new engine on the market. Happens not so often.

Update with how it runns.

Oh, thank`s Mike for all the info also!!

Anders
hi, i think why allan said he was going to a 11mm carb is that a 12mm=.472 is a bit large for a heat racing boat.yes, i would have tried it..(hell i paid for it) before changing it.

Back