Miss Bayswater Bulk, Aussie Connection gas scale hydro build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott williamson

Here are a couple of shots of my next gas scale hydro that im building .Its the last Aussie merlin powered boat that still gets a run now and then .I was lucky enough to see it a few weeks ago and get a few measurements.I will post some more shots as I go.

Aussie Connection.jpg

20140530_170740_opt.jpg

20140530_170444_opt.jpg

Hey Scott,

Lookin' good.

I have been exchanging some mail with Wayne - I agree - you both with be driving Semi Trucks soon - Har, Har !!! At 66 I have trouble handling my 49" Classic Thunderboat - can't imagine hauling one of these around. You guys are still young - Good luck !!!

Are you building the same scale as Wayne?? Electric or Gas ?? CHEERS !!! Bob

Hi Bob

I may be 46 but I have the back of an 80 year old,My Timex has a drop down handle in front of the engine to help with launching, its hard to find vvolunteers though. I just sold my old chevy dually partly to make room for more boats.now I need it back to cart all my boats around.i went with 25 per cent bigger than 1/8 scale just because it made it easier to stuff everything inside and we dont have a class for them here, my sons G I Joe doll also was the perfect scale for a driver as well.

Hey Scott,

I'm thinking we'll need cranes soon. I watched the pickup boat driver and assistant with looks of pure TERROR on their faces when that had to go out to pick up 1/6.667 gas scales in Evansville last September. And NO One was volunteering to help launch them either. Harvey pitman flat refuses to launch his Bud, so Harvey does it himself. I'm thinkin' - two man working party - Har, Har !!!

Just sent off a PM to you. CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Im almost finished shaping the deck with urethane foam and will hopefully be laying up the fibreglass by the end of the week.

20140624_224706_opt-1.jpg

20140624_224514_opt.jpg

Ive done most of the fibreglass work on the deck now, apart from trimming the edges. Next I will fill and sand the deck and cut access hatches out.

20140629_120049_opt.jpg

20140629_120025_opt.jpg

Hey Scott,

Looking Great, Mate. You do very nice work.

Any idea what the weight per cubic foot is for the urethane foam you are using? Is it expandable foam or are you cutting to fit from a block??

I have decided that it's too hot here now for this fat Swede to work out in the garage here during the summer. Guess I'm becoming a fair weather boater - Har, Har !!!

Enjoy your cool weather and keep us all advised on your build. I'm sure you have better pics of her than I, but this is what I have. CHEERS !!! Bob

VS-41 Baywater Bulk.JPG

Aussie_Connection.jpg

Thanks Bob

The urethane foam is very light and easy to sand ,although I wouldnt rely on it for floatation .I just bought an 8x4 foot sheet at one inch thick for 70 bucks.I packed the sponsons and canoes which are sealed off from the center section with polystyrene ,then cut the urethane foam to sit just below and above the deck level and shaped it with a speed file.

Similar with the center only I will scrape the Urethane foam out from underneath once the glass has cured.

Thanks for those photos Bob ,I haven't see those ones before. Scott

I'm living vicariously through your build. Too Hot for this olde boy to work in the garage here in Houston!!

Lookin' Good, Scott.

I understand that there are 12 boats entered in Gas Scale at the NAMBA Nats and will run 19 July. I believe this will be the largest number of hulls to race to date. These are the 1/6.667 (20% larger than 1/8th Scale) Gas Scales we Yanks run.

Not to be confused with the 25% larger that 1/8th - you are building and racing. It's ALL GOOD, Mate!!!

Hopefully we'll get lots of pics and information from this collection of Gas Scales being in one location. CHEERS !!! Bob

Thanks Bob

Id love to be there to see that,hopefully someone will take lots of pics and video.It sounds like you're making excuses Bob, get out there and start building. Scott

pretty soon you guys will be riding in them if you keep making them any bigger....I can barly fit a 8th scale in my Nissan juke with the seats folded down...think I will have to stick with 10th scale....I do love the talented guys that can make a boat out of nothing but f/g though//./your boat will be outstanding I am sure

I finally got some paint on the bottom of the boat on Saturday , I also managed to attract most of the bugs living within a 2 mile radius of where I was spraying.

Ive been dragging my feet with this one as ive been building another 1.6 scale at the same time,once they are are both painted I will make molds from both of them.

rsz_20141206_202356.jpg

rsz_20141206_135730.jpg

rsz_120141206_141344.jpg

rsz_120141206_202410.jpg

Now you will have to do it again with the cell look it being fitted up with lol . Relocated myself so will be sometime before I get some shed space sorted to do some catching up and lots of it after having down time .nice going scott

I finally got some paint on the bottom of the boat on Saturday , I also managed to attract most of the bugs living within a 2 mile radius of where I was spraying.

Ive been dragging my feet with this one as ive been building another 1.6 scale at the same time,once they are are both painted I will make molds from both of them.
NICE!

Back