Monos built strickly for SAW?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Brown

I know some maufactures like to work with their race boats in SAW record trials to prove the speed of their race boats, but I am wondering if anyone has done much work with designing monos strickly fo SAW. I think maybe Finch and Kently have done a little work on special SAW mono designs. Anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:
As in all boats, water drag is everything. Wings are the answer, especially for SAW. The Northwind is an early example. Conventional monos develop lift from their sides. Batwing monos increase this. Even river marathon racing monos are running wings. Does this WIG craft count as a mono? This offshore mono by the great Fabio Buzzi has demolished the competition almost every time it runs.

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
Who designed the Nothwind ? Ed Fischer . It's like a liftingbody triangle with ski.
Yes I think it was Ed. I have a Northwind. In the mid 70's a friend ran a .20 Northwind with a Supertigre .29. He would cut the outer delta wing area off to reduce the lift. His boats were wicked fast. He could have broke the mono records in those days, but he had no interest in that. He was a Master modeler and very knowledgeable on boats, engines and props. That guy taught me how to rework props back in those days. Lead me to where I am now.

No wings on monos per IMPBA rules not sure or NAMBA.
A mono is a mono-wing. Design it correctly and there is no need for extra appendages.

Speaking of IMPBA rules. They list some things one can do and can not do. But some areas are not covered. The term "transom" is mentioned, but there is no definition of transom.

Hi Andy,

i suck all infos about Ed out from RC-Modeller when i was young .If someone will ever meet him ,tell him that there are a group of modelboaters in Germany they build all his boats .

I build my version of the Northwind ,doing some test run with different drives .Twin engine ,counterrotating props and singelmotor singelprop .

On a Japan website i found years ago some monos that fit as a SAW monohull .But i think they run the boats on open see salt water ,control the boat driving semselv in a daycruiser side by side over long distance.

Picture 752.jpg

Picture 754.jpg

Picture 758.jpg

LakeBiwa2001S0005.jpg

LakeBiwa2001S0004.jpg

LakeBiwa2001S0016.jpg

Hi Andy,

i suck all infos about Ed out from RC-Modeller when i was young .If someone will ever meet him ,tell him that there are a group of modelboaters in Germany they build all his boats .

I build my version of the Northwind ,doing some test run with different drives .Twin engine ,counterrotating props and singelmotor singelprop .

On a Japan website i found years ago some monos that fit as a SAW monohull .But i think they run the boats on open see salt water ,control the boat driving semselv in a daycruiser side by side over long distance.
Christian, I wonder if someone would consider your first boat pictured illegal (for IMPBA, NAMBA) because of the hull extension rearward of the transom? Or is the hull extension merely a glorified long strut bracket which is commonly used on monos. Some might say it is a very short two point hydroplane or stepped mono, but does not the very long extended strut bracket create the same type of effects in the running hull?

Hi Andy,

thats the question,how long can the tail be and can it be a box or has it be like a longtailboat from Thailand . Do you know this video on youtube,

you know the monoboat of Camille from France.

Christian the longtails have a step so they wouldnt be legal as a mono. They are like the single step hydros of the late 30's. They are quick though.A brushless one would be fast.

Hugh,

I know the step ,i post the video because the long tail that ad a other something like step. What ,if the strut has a square design than the round tube .

There's no mention of wings in the NAMBA rule book. The batwing mono would be illegal because of the bottom concavity rules. In electric boats where there are length limits, hardware added to the transom is not counted in the length. That means shaft extensions and trim plates can be any length, limited only by center of gravity considerations. As far as I can tell, a full WIG design is allowed. Ed Fisher's Northwind is a WIG vehicle and should fly fine in a straight line. Turning was it's weak point.

Lohring Miller

Section # 23

Page # 2

Section Name:

DEEP VEE

Revised 3/15/06

5. Gull wing or tunnel hulls are not allowed.

The IMPBA stepped mono rule needs to be changed to reflect the technological advances in real racing mono design.

Last edited:
The IMPBA stepped mono rule needs to be changed to reflect the technological advances in real racing mono design.
No need to change the rules. The mono rules we have now are simple and still somewhat vague. We don't need to complicate them any more.

Our 39" microBurst has a solid 1" X 1" square aluminum block on the transom to extend the strut back. This is not a lot different the the first boat in Christian pics. So is the back of my square block now the transom and the original transom is now a step?

Back